Antenna??

PostPost by: nomad » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:25 am

Maybe the weather is getting to me but I'm agonizing over filling my antenna hole on my S1. It sits about 2" in front of the left corner of the boot opening and I'm wondering if it came from the factory like that? I've seen others with the hole in the same place and although I have no intention of running a radio I'm thinking I should leave it for the next guy. Especially if it was there from the factory. Plenty of different plugs I could put in it oooor just glass it up. What say the group???

Kurt
26/3754
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:33 am

Well, if you leave it, put an antenna in it, regardless of whether or not you're installing a radio. I think a
plug will look tacky.
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bill » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:31 pm

Kurt

My S1, 26/0538 was delivered to me from the factory with the optional radio. The antenna was installed as you described and it appeared by the origional paint work that the mounting hole was done antennae or not.

I eventually filled the hole myself and installed a wire loop within the windshield rubber fitment to make it "invisible"
Works like a charm.

Bill
Bill Rathlef
Vancouver Island, Canada
"Keep your stick on the ice, boys."
Bill
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:53 am

Some thoughts:

1) Maybe you can fill it in a way that looks smooth on top and can be painted-over, but if 'the next guy' looks underneath will find it very obvious how to pop it out and with minimal work have the hole again?

2) Perhaps use a metal hole-plug, for the reason that it could be painted a matching colour?

1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nomad » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:44 pm

I guess I'll probably fill it. It sure appears to have been a factory modification. As to the metal plugs the Veg is showing, I've used them on steel cars when i got rid of the antenna and think they look OK. Definitely not water tight as required on the Elan though.

Kurt.
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nomad » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:14 pm

Actually, now that I think about it, if I wanted a radio, Bills idea is a great one and when i fill the hole I will do as Veg suggests and leave plenty of evidence underneath where the original hole is.
I've never found a radio to be much use in a top down car except maybe at low speeds around town. I'm deaf enough now that I don't need to be blasting the radio over the traffic and wind noise but there is hope for when I get a little more deaf as I believe that it is possible to get a radio signal on your hearing aids now days! :D [Wife says I qualify for the hearing aids now! :( ]

Kurt.
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:20 pm

I agree, Kurt: fill it.

You can always drill it out if you change your mind, but on the other hand, you may well regret leaving it there and not being able to properly and easily fill-and-paint later.

Interesting to hear that Bill's windscreen frame wire works so well.

Regards from Surrey, BC (and I know what you mean about the weather making us do things we might otherwise not . . . ! :wink: )

Randy
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: