Latch skids???

PostPost by: nomad » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:39 pm

PO had gone to the pin through the bonnet attachment on my S1 and I am going back to factory stock. I will have to do a bit of fiberglass work and replace the stainless steel skids that the bonnet latch hooks slide over when closing. Wondering if those are available anywhere for reasonable money or if I should hit up a friend who is in the food equipment manufacturing business oorrrr if anyone has a bit of SS lying around. :)

Kurt
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:17 am

Kurt, the "bonnet skid plates" are available from SJ Sports Cars at about 5 pounds each.
http://www.sjsportscars.co.uk/
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nomad » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:12 pm

Thanks Greg.
Little steep for a couple little strips of stainless but I guess no one works for free. Not sure I would go to the trouble to make them up for that.

Kurt.
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jk952 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:31 pm

Kurt,
The ones on my S2 look like a couple of strips of ss shim stock folded over the fiberglass and pinched at the edges, works fine. If you have a tool and die shop locally could probably get for next to nothing as ubiquitous in that environment.
Cheers,
Jack
jk952
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: nomad » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:51 pm

Thanks Jack...I have a friend who makes specialized equipment for the food industry....probably hit him up first when I can get to it.

Kurt.
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:40 pm

nomad wrote:Thanks Jack...I have a friend who makes specialized equipment for the food industry....probably hit him up first when I can get to it.

Kurt.

For heaven's sake they are less than $15 for a pair... Is your time (& your friend's) worth nothing? :roll:
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:53 pm

pharriso wrote:For heaven's sake they are less than $15 for a pair... Is your time (& your friend's) worth nothing? :roll:

Do you ever drive your Elan for fun, Phil, which is just a waste of your time? $15 would get me enough petrol/gas for 100 miles and waste two hours.
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nomad » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:23 pm

It's like this guys.....I have plenty more to do on the car and am not in a hurry. I see my friend usually a couple times a month and when I do he will probably have a piece in his scrap pile. if not I now know where I can get them for little money! :lol:

Kurt.
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:41 am

Quart Meg Miles wrote:Do you ever drive your Elan for fun, Phil, which is just a waste of your time?

No it is not.... it's my entertainment, therapy etc... I can't see bothering my friend to spend an hour or more making a $15 part as entertainment... each to their own I guess...

Just to add something of value to this thread... my car/hood came without the bonnet skids, when I bought skids from Matty I thought they were too long & cut them down.... only afterwards did I realise that they wrap around the hood edge. Here is a picture of the incorrectly fitted (green) & correctly fitted (red) skids:
existingandnewhoods.jpg and

& yes the OCD in me forced me to buy another pair of skids & correctly install them :-)
img_5151.jpg and
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nomad » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:14 pm

Well, perhaps I am frugal to a fault but I think the whole community could stand to get Gary Anderson back on here with his "Sows Ear". These cars are becoming far too much collector and not near enough just fun to drive IMO. Easier to obtain and cheaper parts wouldn't hurt either but I know the limited market would mean anyone providing parts would have to have another source of income. I would bet that most of the parts supplier's now are doing it for the love of the marque.

My .02!

Kurt.
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nomad » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:11 am

OK, folk's, I don't need the hinge skids but the little bit that the latch hooks contact when closing. It appears that a U shaped piece is being marketed for that job and I am at a loss as to how that would work. What I come up with will be a fabrication of some sort to hopefully strengthen the area.

Also the PO had fitted hood pins as I see many owners use so am I making a mistake to go back to the stock latch system???

Kurt.
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:30 am

There are some pictures of the catches in this thread.
lotus-chassis-f36/bonnet-catches-t15156.html#p73470
...,,,,,,,,and yes ......come back Gary.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nomad » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:17 am

Ah-ha! Thank you Brian....I now see how the riveted on one's are supposed to work but I'm not exactly sure if that is what I want to pursue. A little reinforcement with glass and the original system look's like it should work just fine.

Kurt
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: