S4 DHC - Inertia Reel Seat Belts?

PostPost by: ElliottN » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:47 am

I want to fit a new set of set belts to my S4 (1970 dhc) and I'd prefer inertia reel belts if possible.

I haven't found anything locally so far (Sydney, Aust.) but find plenty of ads on the internet/ebay in the UK - e.g. Securon.

Would be interested to hear from someone who as actually done this recently - prerequisites, traps, etc. - and exactly what belts they fitted, from which supplier. It's a long/expensive process to return them if I get them shipped out and they aren't right.

Appreciate any feedback.
Elliott - 70 S4 dhc
ElliottN
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: europatek » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:55 am

I fitted some to my coupe. Check my resto blog on here to see the details. I made the brackets myself and bought the belts from Burson or Repco. On the buckle you need to loop the belt back through the other way so that the bolted connection and the bucke all sit in the correct orientation - ie no twist in the belt. It's simple. Just unpick the belt, reloop and restitch. If you need any more detail let me know.
europatek
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:29 am

I was toying with the idea of fitting a Spyder cars conversion http://www.spydercars.co.uk/lotus-elan- ... rsion-kit/ i like the way the bracket mounts to the car. Only problem is Spyder cars are on the wrong side of the world for you, but hey the UK exchange rate is low at the moment........
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: HampshireMush » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:44 am

Elliott

There has been some previous discussions on this and FWIW I fitted the Spyder set which I found easy to install and works well. I have posted some photos in the past.

lotus-chassis-f36/backboard-and-inertia-reel-seat-belts-t34282.html.

If this does not work I can repost or PM them to you.

My installation was in a 69 S4SE and should work for yours and it certainly did not involve any cutting / restitching.

John
John

1969 Elan S4 SE
HampshireMush
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:49 am

Late Federal Elans came from the factory with Kangol Reflex Inertia Belts.

I have restored my car to have Kangol 2nd generation Inertia Belts:
img_3602.jpg and

The belts were used on TR6s, I restored the reel mechanisms & used new webbing.

As detailed in the Buckland book there is a reinforcement plate to mount the reel & a rod between the reel & the upper mounting.

Before I decided to go back to original belts I researched what was available new & concluded the Spyder kit was very good, as is the Securon 514/30 kit.
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:59 pm

I have the Spyder bracket and belts on a 69 S4 DHC and they work fab, only small criticism would be they do not fully retract.
Bracket is weird in its orientation but very good , as you would expect from Spyder.

Terry
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:20 pm

I have the same experience as Terry with the Spyder belts.

I didn't realise Federal Sprints had retractable belts, I thought it was just S2 and S3 S/E's that had them factory fitted.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rcombs » Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:13 pm

Thanks for posting this info guys. I am trying to figure out what to do with my car. It's a '67 SE, but the originals were replaced the the late '60s with Irvin paracute safety belts. I'm trying to decide do I redo the Irvins, try to find some impossible to find originals, or go with new belts.

I am going to to look up some suggestions listed here.

Rick
rcombs
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: tvr78 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:26 pm

I deleted the belts completely from my sprint, in case of an accident i want out instead of staying in
tvr78
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: William2 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:50 am

I also fitted the Spyder kit in conjunction with the Securon inertia reel belts. All fitted easily apart from having to file the odd hole to line up with the chassis bolts. An additional benefit is that you can actually reach the handbrake!!
William2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:44 pm

rcombs wrote:Thanks for posting this info guys. I am trying to figure out what to do with my car. It's a '67 SE, but the originals were replaced the the late '60s with Irvin paracute safety belts. I'm trying to decide do I redo the Irvins, try to find some impossible to find originals, or go with new belts.

I am going to to look up some suggestions listed here.

Rick

I have the Irvin's in my Elan. They are simple and work well.

Dan
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: roebuck » Wed May 13, 2020 5:56 am

Hi,
I have fitted Spyder inertia reel belt to my 1970 S4 DHC.
After a bit of trouble moving the slots on the back board and re carpeting the reels work well.
However I have a problem with the short receiver belts that bolt to the transmission tunnel.
They are too short and if you fit the extension brackets supplied you have another problem.
The seat belt bolt heads hit the seats. There is no room even after removing the sound proofing.
It is not possible to tilt the seats and the bolt heads will cut the upholstery if left like this.
Any ideas please?
Rob
roebuck
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Wed May 13, 2020 8:06 am

Raising your query with Spyder would be your best bet?
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: roebuck » Wed May 13, 2020 8:29 am

Contacted Spyder and they were of no help.
Their comment was you only need the extensions if you are short!!!
I am no giant but 5 ft 10 inches and there is no way the belts will work without the extensions
Rob
roebuck
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: HampshireMush » Wed May 13, 2020 9:32 am

Hi Rob

I have fitted the Spyder kit (see previous post by me) and whilst I bought the extensions as well thinking they would be needed found that they fouled the seat and where also way to far forward when fitted.

I am about the same height as you - probably shorter as I have shrunk a bit with age! - and find that just using the basic stalk is fine. I do tend to drive with the seat back in any car but not excessively so. The seat buckle is tight between the seat and the tunnel but works well for me and needs a little extra effort fitting and releasing but better than the alternative.

John
John

1969 Elan S4 SE
HampshireMush
Second Gear
Second Gear

Next

Total Online: