Bonnet release cable

PostPost by: Type28 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:07 pm

Hi

Can anyone advise on the black art of getting the bonnet release cable to actually release the bonnet when pulled?
I have a plastic filler applicator that I push into the gap between the bonnet and scuttle panel (or whatever it?s called on an Elan!) and give it a wiggle when I pull the bonnet release cable.
It didn?t work correctly before I changed the dash and still doesn?t!

Cheers
George
Type28
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: donselan » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:45 pm

George,
I don't have any advice as I have been living with the same problem. I am laughing though because my solution is exactly the same as yours. When I have nobody around to help me I use a plastic filler applicator as well. Maybe it should be marketed as a genuine Lotus "special tool"!
Cheers,
Don
Don Fysh
S3 Elan FHC 36/5607
S3 Elan DHC 45/6646
donselan
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Mr.Gale » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:56 pm

When you pull the cable all the way out it should lock if you turn it clockwise a quarter.

Mr.Gale
Mr.Gale
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Type28 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:03 am

I saw on Facebook that Spydercars have a modified bonnet release system- but it looks like you need to install new catches to the bonnet that are visible.
With my Elan, I don?t mind chassis/suspension/mechanical modifications but like to keep the body and trim as standard looking as possible- It?s strange with my other classics I try and keep everything as stock as possible- but the Elan is all about the driving fun :D
Type28
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: