would you accept this ?

PostPost by: RichC » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:55 pm

img_0750.jpg and
Just wondering how acceptable this new hinge pin from a well known lotus supplier would be to you, if you are 'in the know'
Am I being overly fussy in expecting the shaft carrying the nylon bushes to be rust free?
img_0751.jpg and
RichC
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: KevJ+2 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:01 pm

With how much they want for them....no, I would seriously question them.
What's the initials of the supplier, go on - you know we want you to :mrgreen:
KevJ+2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: RichC » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:14 pm

paid 29.90 before vat and posting .... naw I'll keep you in suspension for a bit longer till i get a few more responses . Just sent the pics off to Paul Mason for his opinion as he's the one gonna fit it !

would be wrong to 'diss' the supplier if I'm just being unreasonable about ' new old stock ' looking a little rough......
RichC
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: KevJ+2 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:30 pm

Well... If it was SJ Sportscars - his picture of his hinge is the same as yours. Not a very good thing to show really, but I suppose what you see, is what you might get :?
Kev.
KevJ+2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: RichC » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:49 pm

just taken some 1200 grit to the faces and they've come up a treat ....fuss is over ... what a numpty I was being!
img_0752.jpg and
RichC
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Galwaylotus » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:03 pm

Yeah. Surface rust cleans up easily. If there's any pitting that may be a different story depending on the parts fit!
Mechanical Engineer, happily retired!

'67 S3 SE FHC

See Facebook page: W J Barry Photography

Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Galwaylotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:45 pm

Agree with Mr. Galoway.

I have received parts that are rusty and have the plating corroded, etc. Defeats the purpose of new plated parts. Might just as well clean and replate your old parts, instead of buying "new" parts, cleaning and replating them.

As for your Plus 2 hinge pins, I would have been unhappy to see that rust, too. But if I took FINE paper (like your 1200 grit) to the surface and it cleaned up quickly and well, with no pitting, then I would be satisfied. I consider this piece to be important to the longevity of the hinge, the bushing and the fit/sag of the doors. So, no, I don't think you're asking too much of the supplier.

Just my thoughts. Notwithstanding, NOS are prone to these conditions. But if it's a new reproduction, I would definitely expect good condition, with plating all intact.

Regards,

Randy
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: SimonH » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:58 pm

I have a feeling these parts are machined after plating so a little surface rust is going to happen if not oiled. Well the ones I got new from Lotus were plated with it machined in this area.
SimonH
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:07 pm

Yeah, you're probably right.

Notwithstanding all the comments about the condition parts arrive to us in, I suppose the real question is how we keep parts in good condition on our cars. :shock: :oops:

For example, the door hinge pin. It is exposed to moisture through the opening at the top. Do we grease the entire pin well and hope? Plate it? Definitely don't want to remove the door, door card, hinge pin, in order to "service" it periodically!!

Personally, I'm hoping that Copaslip and stuff like it will be a big help when I start assembly.

I guess it's just all part of owning and maintaining a vintage car :mrgreen:

Randy
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: SimonH » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:18 pm

I don't know. I suppose the design assumed the door movement would keep it clean where required?

I cant really see why the plating shouldn't be there unless they are a precision fit, but as they run in plastic bushes I doubt it. Probably plate mine and copper-slip them for good measure on assembly.
SimonH
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: pereirac » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:52 pm

I suppose the rust was there to show it was new 'old' stock rather than a modern copy :D
Carl

72 Elan Sprint
87 Excel SE
97 Alpina B10

http://www.lotuselan.co.uk
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: shaun » Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:39 am

I could have made you some nice shiny stainless ones
Attachments
image.jpg and
image.jpg and
shaun
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:49 am

Shaun . . . oh my goodness . . .

Getting ready for a concours, are we?? :shock: :wink:

So on top of cad plating the castings, you've made up stainless hinge pins? Very nice. And you're offering to make same for the rest of us?? Thanks! :wink:

Seriously, though . . . they look awesome. Nice job.

Me, I'm scared to take my little pile of parts-to-plate to the platers and find out the cost . . . :shock:

Randy
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: shaun » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:31 am

Thanks Randy plating I think was really cheap I had I load of different parts done cost in total about ?60 had the bonnet catches done in clear zinc
Attachments
image.jpg and
image.jpg and
image.jpg and
shaun
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: