Plus 2 window frame/door sealing?

PostPost by: The Veg » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:20 am

I have noticed this black putty type of stuff in this spot...is it supposed to be there?

1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:29 am

Yes, amazingly that is stock. :) Often thought we could use the fingerprints to determine provenance.

We opted to leave everything in place when repainting as saw no advantage screwing with the stuff. I think the body guys call the material dum dum. I got some similar material to seal any holes in the body.

Stu
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:36 am

You can find it in the electrical section at Home Depot. It is used to seal duct work entering a building.
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:13 pm

Thanks, good to know. Not surprising at all really, given Lotus' history of half-ass methods in places. I know a guy who has found duct-tape securing wiring in his 21st-century Elise, so the heritage is alive and well. :mrgreen:
2012 BMW R1200GS
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bob_rich » Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:54 am

Hi

I can also confirm that "stuff " is used around the quarter light to , I assume, stop water leaks.
I have attached a picture of how mine was done when I stripped it down back in 2011.

During the rebuild, I sealed my window rubber on the outside using as I recall Dow Corning Black 791 around the quarter light and did not replace the "stuff" on the inside . In the area of the "stuff" I drilled a few holes so any water could drain away. On my car the lower quarter light channels were corroded beyond repair so my thinking was that if any water gets through my outer seal then it can drain away quickly.

after 18 months on the road, though not too much severe rain, so far so good

Hope this helps

Best of Luck

Bob
Attachments
p2250123.jpg and
bob_rich
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:02 pm

Guys, in the first picture I notice there is some kind of metal clip retaining the rod into the Nylon rod connector:

plus2_doorclip.jpg and

Not seen one before... is it home made or original fitment?

Could you post a better picture of it please? I'm tired of my rods releasing from the clips... I've experimented with tie-wraps (zip ties) but no 100% solution yet.

Thanks
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: weddingcarclive » Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:48 pm

Yes Dum Dum widely used in the motor trade during sixties like most things we are now protected against by health and safety with it having been made using animal fats etc. Now Banned ! Well my hands are still attached to my wrists !!!
I managed to find old stock this year but alas no more to be found, it worked well and never dried out keeping supple on the inside and could be re worked to re use like you would re work plasticine.

If you find some keep it safe Ho Ho
weddingcarclive
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:55 pm

pharriso wrote:Guys, in the first picture I notice there is some kind of metal clip retaining the rod into the Nylon rod connector:

Could you post a better picture of it please? I'm tired of my rods releasing from the clips... I've experimented with tie-wraps (zip ties) but no 100% solution yet.

Thanks

As I've only owned the car for a couple of weeks, I have no idea if it's original equipment or not. The car lives outside and the weather is a fright right now, but as the door-card is still taken apart I'll try for a better picture if there's a break in the rain.
2012 BMW R1200GS
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:59 pm

pharriso wrote:Guys, in the first picture I notice there is some kind of metal clip retaining the rod into the Nylon rod connector:

Thanks

Phil, there was a break in the weather today so I was able to get on the car for a brief bit of fettling. Here's a close-up of the clip:

It looks home-made to me, and it's been glued-up with something black. The black stuff is completely solid though, unlike the aforementioned dum-dum on the window frame, so I think it's probably a different substance. Whoever did this definitely didn't want the rod coming loose.

To compare, I used to have an '86 Esprit that used the same door-handle- but I never had any problem with the rod coming out of it, although I think I can chalk that up to the Esprit's handle never requiring removal or even disconnection. With the Esprit, to get the door-card off all you have to do is loosen the three screws in the handle and pop-out the two-piece trim around the handle, revealing enough of a hole in the card for the handle topass through as the card is pulled away. Everything is always right where it needs to be, so the rod really doesn't have much reason to loose itself from the plastic piece. I'd venture that this is more serendipity than the result of Lotus-engineers getting clever about how to keep things working. :mrgreen:
2012 BMW R1200GS
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:57 am

Stock, with a mod to keep the rod in place. Here's a pic of how they should look.

Merry Christmas to all! Now back to your eggnog.
Attachments
005.jpg and
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:03 pm

Thanks for the pictures Mr Veg & Greg.

Greg, cannot see your mod in the photo... do you have a better picture?
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:50 pm

Phil, I was referencing Veg's pic of the the clip thingy and what looks to be jbweld holding it in place, ie, the
mod.
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:49 pm

OK Understood.

My door lock rod pops out of the clip every now & then; it's then a PITA to put the rod back in the clip...

The Nylon clips are not available from Matty or Sue Miller without the rest of the door lock, maybe if I add a couple of holes in the Nylon clip & then safety wire or zip tie the rod in position it will hold together? Here's a mock up of where the holes would need to be:

doorrod_clip_catia.jpg and
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:30 pm

My memory is that my car has some kind of fabric tape wrapped around the plastic piece and rods that I guess is meant to stop the rods popping out. No idea if its standard or a PO mod but seems like like a simple solution, have you tried some duct tape or similar?

Other than that small piece of Aluminum sheet could be shaped to cover the top of the plastic piece holding the rods and simple taped/tie wrapped in place.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:38 am

pharriso wrote:OK Understood.

My door lock rod pops out of the clip every now & then; it's then a PITA to put the rod back in the clip...

The Nylon clips are not available from Matty or Sue Miller without the rest of the door lock, maybe if I add a couple of holes in the Nylon clip & then safety wire or zip tie the rod in position it will hold together? Here's a mock up of where the holes would need to be:

DoorRod_Clip_CATIA.JPG

Now all you need is a 3-D printer. Between making those clips and the mounting bezels and internal bits for old Esprit switches, you could be the big hero of the Lotus world! :mrgreen:
2012 BMW R1200GS
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: