Plus 2 bonnet adjustment

PostPost by: alfadave » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:42 pm

The front centre top edge of my 68 plus 2 bonnet catches the body as the bonnet is being opened.
Is it possible to adjust the bonnet rear wards slightly?
The only way I can see to do it is to drill out either the bonnet or body bobbins to give some movement,and then fix the bonnet in position.
Thanks,
Dave
alfadave
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: dougal9887 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:26 pm

Although my bonnet didn't catch, it was an uneven fit. My solution was to measure up the required adjustment, cut out the bobbins together with a couple of inches of glass fibre either side, bevel away all edges, attach in position with some aluminium strip and self tappers, trial fit and adjust as required, secure with some glass fibre strips, remove the aluminium and self tappers and complete the glass fibre work. Fill and paint.
Dougal.
dougal9887
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:30 pm

Is the middle of the front leading edge of the bonnet higher or lower than the nose of the car? It should be flush.

There is a bracket on the front tubular frame of the bonnet that adjusts the middle leading edge to raise or lower it to follow the contour of the nose, if this is wrong it could cause your problem with catching. Otherwise it could be a poorly repaired front end incident that has ruined the panel gap.

There is no other adjustment that I know of without surgery. I have recently changed bonnets on my +2.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alfadave » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:42 pm

Chaps,thanks for your replies.
The middle of the leading edge of the bonnet is flush ok.
I can clearly see a 4mm gap at the front,and an 8mm gap at the rear.
I'm thinking I may have to try sanding the faces where the front edge of the bonnet is catching.
Dave
alfadave
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: