+2 Bonnet

PostPost by: drtarkir » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:52 am

On the bonnet support bracket, the one at the front that acts as a hinge there is a bracket in the middle with a small right angle catch. What is it's purpose.

Also, where does the finger release catch mount. May be related to the above question.

Dennis
drtarkir
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: dougal9887 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:30 am

Dennis,
The right angle bracket you describe is adjustable and supports the front centreline of the bonnet to prevent sag. You can use it to get perfect alignment of the front edge of the bonnet with the nose.
There is no finger catch provided nor required seeing as the bonnet opens from the rear.
Dougal.
dougal9887
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Gordon Sauer » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:40 pm

I have seen an engine illumination light attached to the front bar on those cars that didn't have the puddle type lights located by the fenders. I would be surprised that a device that you could expand up into the fiberglass would be there with the likelihood it could bring a stress crack. Not heard of this so I guess my question is, are you sure?Gordon Sauer
Gordon Sauer
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: drtarkir » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:22 am

Looking at the pics I have I think that is correct. The bracket is orientated toward the bonnet.

And looking closer I think that the bonnet release I have is off of an EType I am working on

Many thanks

Dennis
drtarkir
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rjaxe » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:59 am

Can you post a picture of this adjustable bracket please, my car does not have any support for the centre of the bonnet. On the cross beam there is a stub bracket in the centre, see pic below,but its not connected to anything,
Thanks
Attachments
Bonnet support 004.JPG and
Richard
rjaxe
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:44 pm

rjaxe wrote:Can you post a picture of this adjustable bracket please, my car does not have any support for the centre of the bonnet. On the cross beam there is a stub bracket in the centre, see pic below,but its not connected to anything,
Thanks

I understand it was to take a spring which assists the bonnet lifting/staying up.

There's a bracket like this on my on my bonnet, but no spring. When I bought the car the bonnet was in bits, having flown off after the car was driven out after engine work, without the bonnet actually being fixed in position :D
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: dougal9887 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:09 pm

Here's s picture of the adjustable bracket. It's maybe not very clear but the smaller right angle part that presses against the bonnet edge is slotted to allow for adjustment.
20150726_150345.jpg and
Bonnet support bracket.
dougal9887
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: david.g.chapman » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:20 pm

Any cracking might be confined to the front flange, so may not come through to the top surface of the bonnet.

I used a block of wood wedged between the bar and the bonnet to raise the front of the bonnet slightly (no fear of crackng). Some RTV was used to stop it coming out. After 10 years I removed it and the bonnet stayed where it was. :D

Dave Chapman.
david.g.chapman
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: drtarkir » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:41 pm

here you go

Dennis
Attachments
bonnetsupport.JPG and
drtarkir
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rjaxe » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:30 pm

Thanks for the info, it does not look to difficult a task to make the right angle bracket. I will have a go at it when I dig out some steel strip which I am sure I have somewhere.
Regards
Richard
rjaxe
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:02 am

dougal9887 wrote:Dennis,
The right angle bracket you describe is adjustable and supports the front centreline of the bonnet to prevent sag. You can use it to get perfect alignment of the front edge of the bonnet with the nose.

Dougal.

When I read this I thought it made sense, so I went out to check my bonnet for sag/cracks, after 30 years since I repaired and fitted it. It's perfect ! :D

Then I remembered I have the original manual, so I went looking, and this is what I found. The purpose of the bracket was in fact to assist bonnet opening. However it was decided to delete this from Chassis No. 50/0720 on, because of the risk of the bonnet opening while driving.

But using it to give some central support does make good sense.

Still learning after all these years ! :mrgreen:
Attachments
001.jpg and
002.jpg and
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Gordon Sauer » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:21 am

I was remembering that about the early +2 bonnets having a spring attachment. Mine is later so it doesn't have that welded on bracket on the front support bar. But what's really weird is I do have this piece left over in my things so where does it really go?. Gordon Sauer
Attachments
image.jpg and
Gordon Sauer
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:57 am

Gordon Sauer wrote:I was remembering that about the early +2 bonnets having a spring attachment. Mine is later so it doesn't have that welded on bracket on the front support bar. But what's really weird is I do have this piece left over in my things so where does it really go?. Gordon Sauer

It might have something to do with Chapman's obsession that every component should have at least two functions, e.g. spring mount and centre support :D
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: