Folding rear seat squab

PostPost by: david.g.chapman » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:08 am

I have the folding rear seat on my +2 as well, and the remnants of the straps. I cannot see where they connected to, as there are no fasteners on the parcel shelf. Does someone have a picture of the parcel shelf with the fasteners installed?

Dave Chapman
david.g.chapman
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: martynw » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:39 am

Dave

I've just ordered these Tenax fasteners from ebay - they are available in loads of places, these were cheapest I found, though I didn't shop around for very long.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140650581215_ ... EBIDX%3AIT

Martyn
martynw
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: draenog » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:47 pm

david.g.chapman wrote:I have the folding rear seat on my +2 as well, and the remnants of the straps. I cannot see where they connected to, as there are no fasteners on the parcel shelf. Does someone have a picture of the parcel shelf with the fasteners installed?

Dave Chapman

My 1970 +2S still has everything in place (looks to be original). I'll take some pictures tonight.

Rob.
draenog
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: martynw » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:51 am

As usual, one job leads to another, so now I know how to attach my seat squab to the parcel shelf, I've realised that will just pull the parcel shelf out as it isn't fixed in place.

As the parcel shelf was a bit of a mess anyway, I'm making a new one using the old one as a template, however what is fitted looks quite different to the other pictures on this forum and in the book. I'm not sure if I have a homemade version, or if the +2S one was a little different to account for the folding seat, but as I am making one from scratch, I thought I might as well get it right.

Other parcel shelves have two lengths of steel angle - one near the front mounted on the top, and a shorter one further back on the underneath (like on this thread lotus-chassis-f36/recovering-parcel-shelf-t29366.html) I think there are two holes in front of the top channel which allow you to attach the shelf to the metal brackets above the petrol tank. These would then be covered when the seat is fitted (or in a +2S, when it is folded up).

My parcel shelf (below) has two lengths of steel angle, but both are mounted under the shelf. The front one is flush to the front edge. Before I stripped it off, this was wrapped in vinyl, but there are no holes to attach it to the brackets, meaning the whole thing just slipped forward.

Any +2S owners able to throw some light on how it should be? And if I need the top channel, could someone post the dimensions?

Many thanks again.
Attachments
IMAG0085s.jpg and
martynw
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Bud English » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:33 pm

My +2S shelf is identical to yours with both steel angle pieces on the bottom and nothing but vinyl on top. Unfortunately mine has been out so long that I can't be much help on how it's fastened in place. I apparently didn't take a photo during demolition, er disassembly. Hopefully someone will post a photo that can help us both in that regard.
Bud
1970 +2S Fed 0053N
"Winnemucca - says it all really!!"
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: martynw » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:55 pm

Thanks Bud - quite glad it looks like I won't have to try and find some unusual shaped steel section for the top and can just use what I've got.

I'm also trying to work out if the vinyl folds around the steel to cover it up, or folds sharply back on the wooden shelf, so that the steel scures it in place once it is riveted. I'd have to paint the steel then, but as it would usually be covered by the seat, it should be fine.

I was expecting to find a couple of holes in the steel through which it would be easy enough secure it, but the fact that none were there made me wonder if I had missed something.
martynw
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:58 pm

On my +2S/130 the parcel shelf looked the same. From memory the vinyl was wrapped around the front metal piece and secured on the rear.

On the +2/130 there should be studs fastened to the top of the seat that slot down though the parcel shelf and into hold on the brackets. Can't seeing it being much different for the earlier setup but you never know....
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bud English » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:19 pm

The vinyl on mine wrapped around the front steel angle and was cemented to the back side. If you need the dimensions for the stud placement I can help with that.
Bud
1970 +2S Fed 0053N
"Winnemucca - says it all really!!"
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Breezehill » Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:24 pm

Apart from the two studs to retain the seat back, are there any other screws which hold the parcel shelf in place?
Breezehill
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:54 pm

You need the 2 flat clips that go into the rear window rubber to support the rear of the shelf.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:12 pm

Also there are two sheet metal screws with countersunk heads slipped through finishing washers, all in black, that attach the front edge of the parcel shelf to metal tabs underneath. Their location is very close to the studs for the seatback straps. :)

Can attach pix if you'd like . . .
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Breezehill » Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:35 pm

The clips are across the lower edge of the window, however not sure if there should be other fasteners that go into the strut cross brace.
Breezehill
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Breezehill » Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:40 pm

Sea Ranch, photo would be great thank you
Breezehill
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:57 pm

Here below find attached pix from my car (Feb 1970 Plus 2S) and from the Factory Workshop Manual (which in the Body section, has a paragraph dedicated to the removal and reinstallation of the parcel tray) . . . .

Right side parcel tray attachment, seen through rear windscreen 01.jpg and
Right side parcel tray attachment, seen through rear windscreen 01

Right side parcel tray attachment, seen through rear windscreen 02.jpg and
Right side parcel tray attachment, seen through rear windscreen 02

Right side parcel tray attachment, seen through rear windscreen 03.jpg and
Right side parcel tray attachment, seen through rear windscreen 03

Factory Workshop Manual, Lotus Plus 2.jpg and

"Remove two screws securing front edge"
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:59 pm

Funny (or typical?) that the location of the two mounting screws is just about far enough forward to be concealed by the overhang of the seatback . . . but not quite :shock: :roll:

That's the factory position for them (on MY car . . . not sure where the factory drill placed them on other cars!)
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: