Folding rear seat squab

PostPost by: martynw » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:56 pm

My +2S has the folding rear seat squab, but currently there is nothing that holds it in the upright position when you want it there. Just wondered if someone on the forum with the same arrangement could post a picture of whatever clips were originally fitted - presumably to the parcel shelf - so that I can try and fit something that is at least reasonably similar.

Many thanks in advance.
martynw
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Orsom Weels » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:35 pm

Can't help with a good pic as my 'S' is long gone, but it had two tags/straps, one each side, attached to the back-rest which simply poppered on to the parcel shelf, can't remember if they were 'Tenax' or just normal popper type studs, it was 30 years ago now, where did that go, seems like no time at all. I still have the original owners hand book which has a picture & about one line of instruction, but the pic isn't very clear, if no one can provide a decent photo, I could try scanning the page for you, not sure how well it would re-produce though.
Regards, Tim
Orsom Weels
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: martynw » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:55 pm

Thanks Tim - that is pretty much what I was going to do if I couldn't find anything out. I was thinking of the lift-a-dot style connectors. Will see if anyone has a photo of the real thing, but thanks for the offer on the manual.
martynw
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:23 pm

Every day a new revelation.
I was unaware that the rear seat folded on any +2.
Doesn't the fuel tank and horizontal brace get in the way?
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bud English » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:53 pm

Tim's description is pretty dead on. There are tabs on each corner with pull up fasteners as he said. The tabs are sandwiched between the seat back upholstery and the right angle metal stiffener.
CIMG1235.JPG and

I'm not sure what the proper name is for that type fastener, but it's not the "lift the dot type". It has an outer barrel (for lack of a better term) that lifts quite easily to release from the stud. I think lift the dot fasteners may be a bit too brutal for our not so robust package tray design.

I can get actual dimensions of the tab if you need them. I just have to unload my interior from the back of my pick-up. It's awaiting the trip to the upholsterer.
Bud
1970 +2S Fed 0053N
"Winnemucca - says it all really!!"
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Orsom Weels » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:45 pm

That is the 'Tenax' type fastener, exactly the same as used on the DHC elan hoods, seeing the picture jogged my memory :)
Orsom Weels
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:48 pm

Yup. That's the set-up on my Feb 1970 Plus 2S.

Vince: yes, yet another "plus" for the S model :) When the seat back folds down, there is a chipboard (I think) panel behind, with carpet on it, and carpet on the back side of the seat back, so you have in essence a carpeted luggage area there. Nice. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Randy
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: martynw » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:27 pm

Thanks people - the pic is just what I need. The tenax fasteners are easily available, will get that sorted. Good to see the pic, I'd have attached the tabs nearer the middle of the car I think.

Agree the fold down seat is great - but it doesn't join up with the boot as in a modern hatch back as the petoltank etc is in the way. Still a handy place to put a bit of luggage though., just it loads through the doors.
martynw
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: cal44 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:47 am

Sometime towards the end of the Federal 1971 Plus 2 model, the fold down seat stopped and the fixed back started. I don't know for the rest of the world production.

Yes, those are the correct tabs. For those that haven't exercise the tab in while, drop a tiny bit of oil around the nub, keeps the wire from rusting on if you live in moist areas.
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "Mad Dog" James Mattis United States Marines
cal44
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Hawksfield » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:33 pm

Hi

My 1971 S130 March, has the folding seat back and has Tenax fastenings
John

+2s130 1971
Hawksfield
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: JJDraper » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:58 pm

Thought you might like a few pics. I'm afraid the seats were sold years ago!

Jeremy
Attachments
P1000133.JPG and
P1000128.JPG and
P1000127.JPG and
P1000126.JPG and
P1000125.JPG and
P1000124.JPG and
JJDraper
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:20 pm

Yeah, nice, Jeremy. That's how mine are as well. A big fiberglass tub, with the long straps to hold them when they're down (?), and the "tenax" buttons, etc.

Obviously this was more work and expense than Lotus was willing to continue with, thus the later simplified system.

Only problem with this foldable system is the potential for getting compressed foam in the fold line of the seat back if left in the folded down position for too long.

Randy
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: martynw » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:26 pm

They are brilliant Jeremy - thanks for putting them up. Really useful.

Martyn
martynw
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:10 pm

Cool pictures. My car has the older style single seats with the long hard plastic console. Always wondered how the folding option worked. Man, that must be an awkward assembly to get in and out of the car though; I assume the front seats have to be removed first? I like how the folding backs cover the console; very easy to break the plastic one if you load stuff back there without sufficient care.

Stu
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:33 pm

Spoken like a man who's taken apart (and put back together) a Plus2, Stu!! :mrgreen:

That giant box of fiberglass and seating is indeed a royal pain to remove, and yes, at least one of the front seats has to be removed in order to remove it. Furthermore, because the reat seat system lays over top of the main/forward console section, the rear seat system has to be removed in order to remove the main/forward console! So, to take out the console, remove all seating. Ugh.

But I love it (when it's in place)! :mrgreen:

Randy

ps. This is undoubtedly one of the reasons the Plus 2S weighs more (I believe) than the Plus 2 and the Plus 2S/130.
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: