Windscreen Problem

PostPost by: William2 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:34 pm

At last, the windscreen is in!!! The guy from National Windscreens took about 1 1/2 hours and did a great job considering the rubber issues, etc, etc. He put some black sealant along the lower lip and managed to get the chrome filler strip to go round the lower corners ok. He was very thorough and took his time.
Attachments
Windscreen 003.JPG and
Windscreen 002.JPG and
William2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: bchris » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:46 pm

William,look on page one here and youll see pictures of a windscreen where they mitred the infill bead to make it look correct. im glad your screen is in but I wouldn't be happy with the lower corners left as they are,quite honestly it looks terrible.the modern rubbers are incorrectly made,i fitted my screen into its original rubber and the beading went round the lower corners perfectly tight without the need for mitring,but it wouldn't in a brand new rubber. its easy to rectify,i can tell you how to do it to make it look right. Chris.
bchris
New-tral

PostPost by: William2 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:33 pm

Chris, sorry but I beg to differ. I don't think the corners look "terrible" but I know that they will never be as good as if one had used the original type of rubber. Maybe one day the rubber manufacturer will make them with the correct angle. The corners were not designed to be mitred and I have been told that the joint will gradually separate as the chrome strip can shrink. If I get problems in the future with the rubber splitting I will use a rubber sealant used in the marine industry called Abru. Not ideal but hey ho.
William2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: bchris » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:42 pm

Fair enough ,as long as your happy with it that's the main thing, I know they weren't mitred,its bad manufacturing of the new rubber. Best wishes,Chris.
bchris
New-tral

Previous

Total Online: