Windscreen Problem

PostPost by: Grizzly » Wed May 20, 2015 6:44 pm

Mmmmm.......... The more i'm looking at cars restored a few years ago with these rubbers the more i'm not liking the joint splitting, mine is already showing signs and it's not on the road yet. May have to use my old seal......But hey will give it some character.

One of the Many cars i've found pictures of with the joint split.
Attachments
gfbgf.jpg and
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: l10tus » Wed May 20, 2015 11:49 pm

I installed my own new rubber and old screen, rubber came from Sue, not sure if it's any easier on a DHC, but it took some time to do on my own.

Corners of the rubber look a lot better than most of the above pictures I must say.

My 'chrome insert bent around the corners well with a little heat from the Hairdryer,only issue I have is the insert isn't long enough to join exactly in the middle of the screen, so a cover piece must be sought!

I made my own insert tool to open the rubber to install the insert ( but must admit this was the worst job - far worse that fitting screen into rubber seal!)

Pics to follow.

Regards,

Phil
Philip.

UK '72 Sprint DHC

Sometimes my Lotus makes me cry.
l10tus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Famous Frank » Tue May 26, 2015 11:20 pm

Hmmm, mine is close to going in. But after reading these threads I'm worried it won't fit right. And I purchased the screen 4 years ago and the rubber, ................well, I don't remember where I got it. Hope it looks and seals correctly.
Famous Frank

67 Elan Coupe
66 Elan S2 SE
65 Elan S2
65 Elan 26R
69 S2 Europa
06 Elise
67 Barracuda
Famous Frank
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Thu May 28, 2015 10:35 am

Has anyone ever tried to bond rubber seal? We have a guy that comes in 2 or 3 days a month to do all our screens / rubbers but he's a cranky old G*t who thinks his trade is a black art so is for ever rubbing people up the wrong way, i noticed he was about today in one of his better moods so i tried to coach him into making me up a screen rubber but was having non of it :roll: but he did explain that its very straight forward if you are prepared to make up a basic jig of the correct angle. The trick it seams is to measure the screen angle accurately so the load on the joint was low and to make the seal too big so there is always pressure pushing the joint closed.

So i'm thinking of buying some seal and seeing how well it can be cut/shaped, i priced it up through work and its about ?6 a meter so might give it a go if i can figure out how to bond it well.
Last edited by Grizzly on Thu May 28, 2015 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Thu May 28, 2015 10:45 am

Just for anyone interested, i have my screen back out so a thought i'd take a picture of the origanal seal and the Sjs seal to show you the difference in corner angle.
Attachments
P1040095.JPG and
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Thu May 28, 2015 11:40 am

SJ's seal on the bottom?
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Thu May 28, 2015 1:08 pm

gjz30075 wrote:SJ's seal on the bottom?

Yep, there is quite a difference in angle when you lay them out. There is a picture of the factory seal fitted on the previous page you can see how well the filler fits, i am going to send the SJS seal back simply because its already started to fail in the corner so with a bit of shrinkage i think it would look like the red elan a few posts back.
Last edited by Grizzly on Thu May 28, 2015 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: collins_dan » Thu May 28, 2015 1:12 pm

My brand new S4 windscreen was just smashed by a large rock when driving on the highway, so will need to be replaced. I bought a seal from MacGregor's that is not mitered, but a long strip that can be mitered at any angle. The shop that installed this last windscreen didn't like that and bought a mitered one, which looks like the one on the bottom and has that odd appearance shown in some of the other pictures when installed. So the decision is what to use for my new new windscreen. It would appear that cutting and mitering the MacGregor seal would provide the best result. Thoughts? Thanks, Dan
collins_dan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Thu May 28, 2015 1:19 pm

collins_dan wrote:My brand new S4 windscreen was just smashed by a large rock when driving on the highway, so will need to be replaced. I bought a seal from MacGregor's that is not mitered, but a long strip that can be mitered at any angle. The shop that installed this last windscreen didn't like that and bought a mitered one, which looks like the one on the bottom and has that odd appearance shown in some of the other pictures when installed. So the decision is what to use for my new new windscreen. It would appear that cutting and mitering the MacGregor seal would provide the best result. Thoughts? Thanks, Dan

I'm planning some thing very similar, i've been given the number of a place in the UK that will make custom rubbers so i might try them first, that said i'm a little shocked at the cost of the rubber seal (un mitered) next to the Aftermarket Elan seal, i can get 3 meters for under ?20 where my after market seal cost ?80? Thats some difference and i'm led to believe ?6 a meter is expensive.

The way i see it for ?25 i could make up a seal and see if it works, if it fails then fair enough its easy enough to get the screen in and out then i'll have to go back to an ill fitting rubber but that would be my last resort.

BTW, i have been told to try Thixofix contact adhesive, never even heard of it myself but i'm told its very good for use with Rubber (need to do some reading up on that one though)
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: peterexpart » Thu May 28, 2015 3:52 pm

I had the same problem with my New Rubber which I purchased from P.M. a couple of years ago, with the assistance of my Body Shop I ended up "opening" up both corners and filling with the following Rubberised Black Adhesive after the screen was fitted, it sets the same as the rubber and cannot be seen after it goes off.
Have never had a leak from either corner.
"Teroson" Power Adhesive
Ref MS9220.
This is a very similar product to the Adhesive they use for bonding in Frameless Windscreens, but slightly more flexible
PeterExpart
New Forest National Park
Hampshire UK
peterexpart
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: collins_dan » Thu May 28, 2015 5:54 pm

Chris, I will be curious to hear how you get on with making your own. I can't get the screen until early August, so will benefit from your experience. I have also never replaced a windscreen, so please keep up your usual standard of great documentation, as I will be diligently following them :D
All the best, Dan
collins_dan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Stratosboy » Thu May 28, 2015 6:16 pm

I just fitted mine last night, it went in a lot easier than I expected, but still wasn't easy, My elan body seems to be a bit of an oddity!
elan May 2015 003.JPG
elan May 2015 003.JPG (72.76 KiB) Viewed 441 times

elan May 2015 007.JPG
elan May 2015 007.JPG (70.33 KiB) Viewed 441 times

elan May 2015 004.JPG
elan May 2015 004.JPG (64.05 KiB) Viewed 441 times

hope it stays in!!
Stratosboy
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Thu May 28, 2015 6:40 pm

Has your main rubber corner seam opened up? looks like its split in the picture but could be an Illusion.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: c42 » Thu May 28, 2015 6:48 pm

I have used this adhesive in the past on rubber, worked very well.

http://www.henkel.co.uk/loctite-4087.ht ... 2625683457

John
c42
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: William2 » Sat May 30, 2015 8:19 am

I was looking at the Kelvedon Lotus website and noticed that they sell a rubber screen surround that and it states that it has the correct mitre corners. ?90 + VAT.
William2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: