Windscreen Problem

PostPost by: William2 » Mon May 18, 2015 11:28 am

A professional windscreen fitter came out tis morning to fit my new rubber and new windscreen glass to my S4 DHC. After at least 1 hour of perseverance he had to admit defeat.
He just couldn't get the screen to fit inside the rubber without the danger of over stressing the glass and potentially cracking it and he certainly new all the tricks of the trade. He couldn't be certain what part was causing the problem but as an idea he suggested I might like to try and source a second hand rubber surround to be sure of a correct fit and it would be more pliable. Both my new items were sourced from a well known UK Lotus supplier and the windscreen fitter had 35 years experience including lots of Elans. Not sure how to solve this one!! Any of you guys had a similar issue?
William2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Mon May 18, 2015 2:02 pm

William2 wrote:A professional windscreen fitter came out tis morning to fit my new rubber and new windscreen glass to my S4 DHC. After at least 1 hour of perseverance he had to admit defeat.
He just couldn't get the screen to fit inside the rubber without the danger of over stressing the glass and potentially cracking it and he certainly new all the tricks of the trade. He couldn't be certain what part was causing the problem but as an idea he suggested I might like to try and source a second hand rubber surround to be sure of a correct fit and it would be more pliable. Both my new items were sourced from a well known UK Lotus supplier and the windscreen fitter had 35 years experience including lots of Elans. Not sure how to solve this one!! Any of you guys had a similar issue?

Yep, My new Rubber was very stiff but 20 mins in boiling water it was soft and malleable. Buying a used seal could be difficult as they tend to go hard and crack when the screen is removed.

Out of interest, Where did you buy the seal from? Mine was a Sjsportscar seal, was a bit heavy on price but fit the windscreen aperture quite tightly with the corners in the correct place.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elan45 » Tue May 19, 2015 1:07 pm

Are you sure you have the correct piece of glass. The S1-S2 glass is different from the S3-S4. I've never compared the two types, although I had one of each a year ago, but not today.

I am going to need new rubbers for my FHC I'm restoring. Has anyone been able to compare fit and quality between any of the suppliers available to us on this side of the pond?
'67 Elan S3 SS DHC
'67 Elan FHC pre-airflow
'67 Elan S3 SE upgrade to 26R by Original owner
'58 Eleven S2 (ex-works)
'62 20/22 FJ (ex-Yamura)
'70 Elan +2S RHD
'61 20 FJ project
'76 Modus M1 F3
Elan45
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Oldthumper » Tue May 19, 2015 7:12 pm

may15 0371.JPG and

This is my newly fitted screen,fitted by Miles.
The bodyshop that is doing my paintwork was pretty horrified by the fit of the rubber!
Oldthumper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Tue May 19, 2015 8:46 pm

Oldthumper wrote:
may15 0371.JPG

This is my newly fitted screen,fitted by Miles.
The bodyshop that is doing my paintwork was pretty horrified by the fit of the rubber!

That looks like it may leak? is the other corner the same?
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Oldthumper » Tue May 19, 2015 10:12 pm

Yes Chris,the other corner is just the same.My bodyshop say not to worry,as the screens are coming out again anyway,and they say they will do it properly!
Oldthumper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: john1180 » Wed May 20, 2015 12:51 am

I had a similar problem and had to get a different screen. The first one had the wrong curvature( got it from Chris Neil back in the day)
john1180
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: c.garde » Wed May 20, 2015 8:33 am

Gentlemen and other interested parties,

Problem is that the rubberchannel is joined at 90dg. angles. ( should be 105 dg. to memory )
According to Roy at PMS I was the first customer to notice this and that they had been like this for years. Dealing with PM for YEARS I am confident that this problem has been adressed by now.
Please expand a little on the screen with an incorrect curvature.

The best from Claus Garde in Denmark.
c.garde
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Wed May 20, 2015 8:45 am

Same problem here. I just filled the hole with a black RTV.
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TroonSprint » Wed May 20, 2015 9:35 am

Here is the corner of my screen. The rubber was bought from Matty's last year and it fitted well. The angles seem to be right. The screen was supplied and fitted by National Windscreens last winter. The whole job took two guys just an hour.

Mike
Attachments
ScreenCorner.JPG and
TroonSprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: c.garde » Wed May 20, 2015 10:03 am

Looks like an excellent job with the wrong part..
When I brought home a new frontscreen a year ago I also bought a new seal.
Fitting this it looked very much as on pics of restored cars. of recent years: Hopeless at the bottom corners.
As I had on the shelves a new seal ( unused ) 20 years of age I chose to use this, and ofcourse I took measurements of the angles. So when I state that the proper angle must be around 105 dg. that is a statement of fact as any og you will be able to verify when changing an old front screen.
Best
Claus Garde
c.garde
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Wed May 20, 2015 10:20 am

Isn't at least part of the problem here (with Grizzly's screen) that the filler strip is not cut & jointed in the corner? (as is troonsprints...)
Last edited by pharriso on Wed May 20, 2015 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Wed May 20, 2015 11:09 am

Don't know if it helps but this is a couple of pictures of how mine was when i got it (never been removed)

c.garde, seems you are correct. Just had a look at a few restored Elans and they all have ill fitting screen rubbers, looking at my picture's there is quite a difference in the corner angle (quite obviously not 90 degree's)
Attachments
P1030717.jpg and
P1030785.jpg and
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: William2 » Wed May 20, 2015 5:11 pm

It seems that windscreens and rubber surrounds are a bit of a minefield!! I have been phoning around and found 2 windscreen fitters that I can call on to have a go if I get stuck. I will try and speak to Miles first and see what he reckons. I quite see the point that the rubber is not manufactured to the correct angle in the bottom corners to match the framework which doesn't really help the fitting process. I can also see the logic in mitring the filler strip in the corners to prevent having to bend. Not a problem on the S1 or S2. I feel it unlikely that the new Pilkington screen itself would be at fault.
William2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Wed May 20, 2015 5:24 pm

I can vouch for the Pilkington screen (after my Ricky Racing saga i laid my new screen on top of the original one and it was identical, even the logo is in the same place), ironically with this subject coming up i had a look at my new seal and noticed its started to split from the corner seam, now i know its a 105degree frame and screen with a 90 degree rubber it isn't really a surprise the corner joint is starting to go.

I wish these aftermarket seal suppliers would get there act together, if it isn't the Door seals it the windscreen now :(
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: