Bonnet release adjustments

PostPost by: collins_dan » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:12 pm

I recently returned my federal s4 to the original bonnet release system from pins. I noticed when driving that the passenger side close to the clips was bouncing. Further investigation reveals that on the driver side there is clearly tension and the clip is holding the bonnet down. On the passenger side, it is not under nearly the same level of tension. How can I increase it? I tried raising the plastic bolts on the hinge on that side, but it made no difference. I appreciate any tips. Thanks, Dan
collins_dan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanconvert » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:35 pm

hello dan
I've had similar fun with my s4 bonnet.......endless fiddling with the spring clips - I think they eventually lose their 'springiness', and maybe should be replaced....
I also found that the little self-tapping screw that holds the spring clip to the bulkhead was not gripping due to enlarged hole, allowing the spring clip to rise, so drilled another [lower] one.......
seems to be okay now... :?

:D fred :D
'Never give up!....unless it's hopeless.....'

1970 S4 dhc big valve
1973 Ginetta G15
1967 Ginetta G4 [sadly now sold]
1959 lotus elite type 14
Elanconvert
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:43 pm

Do you have the foam strip on the bulkhead that the rear edge of the bonnet to sits on ?
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: collins_dan » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:51 pm

I don't think the clip is moving, but I will check. I do have foam along the back. If I lightly hold down the driver's corner and pull the release cable, the bonnet does not pop up on the passenger side. Essentially, it feels like the spring is creating tension only on the driver's side. The passenger side is clipped down, but not loaded up with pressure from the spring at the front. Thanks, Dan
collins_dan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:45 pm

Is the bonnet currently aligned the way you want it? In other words, if you lower the spring clip, you have to push the bonnet down further in order to get it to latch but there should be tension on it at that point but will the bonnet still be aligned?

Greg Z
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: collins_dan » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:59 pm

Yes, the alignment is good. What's interesting is when I push down and catch the passenger side, the height is perfectly aligned and the tension is good. Then when I push down the driver's side to catch it, then there is nice tension there, but if I go back over to the passenger side, the tension is gone and if anything, the height of the bonnet is now a little lower than the body. Thanks, Dan
collins_dan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:40 am

Dan,
Sounds to me like your driver's side clip is set too low.
When you push the bonnet down in the centre it should meet both clips at the same time, then you will have equal tension on both clips when closed. Adjust your driver's side clip to achieve that first then adjust both clips as necessary to get the closed height right
Last edited by oldelanman on Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:18 am

I have a similar issue. Do you pull the cable as you close the bonnet ?? I always have but it's a stretch for me to reach the middle of the bonnet whilst doing that. Therefore there is always more pressure being put on the drivers side.
Richard
'72 Sprint
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:33 pm

Richard,

Is your cable correctly adjusted ?

With the bonnet open, check that the outer cable is compressing the spring clips back towards the bulkhead so that the brackets on the bonnet land roughly in the centre of the ramps on the top face of the clips. There should not be any slack in the cable or the clips will rest too far forward. If you don't have enough adjustment on the outer cable to achieve this you may need to shorten the inner cable too which unfortunately means removing the glove box to get to the free end.

Also worth removing any sharp edges from the bonnet brackets which may tend to dig into the ramp surface of the clips and then grease the surfaces as well.

Worked for me and my bonnet opens and closes pretty well.
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: collins_dan » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:04 pm

Good suggestions. The driver's is definitely harder to close. The clip sticks out further from the firewall. The height is right though. I will try to adjust the tension as suggested. Thanks, Dan
collins_dan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:51 pm

Dan,
The spring clips should be more or less the same distance from the bulkhead. Check the cable between the clips is not jamming and not returning fully.
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: collins_dan » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:57 pm

I think the issue is the cable is too long. I am at the maximum. The threaded section in the center is at its limit. I have to figure out how to shorten the cable at the end. Can I somehow cut some washers and slide over the cable at the end behind the glovebox?
collins_dan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:21 pm

That might be possible although I think the nipple on the end of the cable sits in a recess in the threaded barrel that passes through the bulkhead so it might be tricky to get anything in there. The barrel itself is secured with a nut either side of the bulkhead so maybe you could screw it further through the bulkhead and shorten the cable that way. I remade my cable assembly using a bike brake cable and used a screwed nipple on the end to allow for adjustment.......if your cable is long enough maybe you could cut off the fixed nipple and use a screwed one?
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: