Lotus Fabrications

PostPost by: wobblyweb » Sun Dec 28, 2003 9:01 pm

I have just read a small article in a classic magazine that says Lotus are to close their chassis fabrication factory.It is the plant that builds the Esprit chassis so I guess that now they are no longer in production then its not needed. Im not sure what effect it will have on Elan chassis but they must have been made there too.
I waited 8 weeks for a new chassis a few weeks ago and would think that they will be harder to source now or in the near future.

Rae
wobblyweb
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: steve » Tue Dec 30, 2003 8:26 am

there are a few people making elan chassis ,so i don't think it will be a problem :huh: and probably better quality than lotus aswell :blink: ;)
"everyone wants a piece of me and it hurts "<br>when my right leg starts shaking thats when i know i am having fun !
steve
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: M100 » Tue Dec 30, 2003 12:24 pm

Its not just chassis, its all the "metal bashing" part of the operation. The majority of the work in recent years was rear subframes and wishbones for the Elise as Esprit chassis, even when in production were never really a major activity given the quantities required. Up until about 4 years ago they were based at the factory, a bloody noisy place to work with the stamping machines and (at the time at least) were only moved out to make more space for other activities. Of course in hindsight that's probably a management lie.

According to reports everything fabricated is now going to be outsourced which may or may not be a good thing, only time will tell. Best to stock up on wishbones and those oddball brackets while you can though.
Martin
72 Sprint DHC
M100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: