does yours bend?

PostPost by: Elanconvert » Fri May 02, 2014 8:38 am

now I'm sure you guy's all know how to suck eggs, but my voyage of elan discovery is only just beginning!
anyway, fiddling with bonnet catches, trying [and failing] to get them just right, I happened to notice the nylon set screw that pushes the bonnet forward on closing was badly bent [driver's side]....

ebay bath 027.jpg and

my efforts to straighten it, and getting it to stay straight] proved fruitless, and thinking the same might happen to replacement nylon ones,.........improvised!
Stainless M5 x 25mm domehead set screw with one of these added..

ebay bath 028.jpg and

hey presto! catches work a treat! bonnet stays solid at 90mph [not on public roads of course :wink: ] gaps are even even!

:D fred
'Never give up!....unless it's hopeless.....'

1970 S4 dhc big valve
1973 Ginetta G15
1967 Ginetta G4 [sadly now sold]
1959 lotus elite type 14
Elanconvert
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Fri May 02, 2014 7:57 pm

Hello Fred,
Please will you explain where these nylon screws are. My S3 has screws at the front of the bonnet to hold it away from the body but none at the windscreen (rear)end. Is that where you mean.? If so, I would like to fit them but it is hard to know something is missing if it is not there and there are no unused holes.
Eric in Burnley
1967 S3SE DHC ( It was gorgeous in the Dales on Tuesday and so little traffic. Where was everybody?)
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanconvert » Sat May 03, 2014 8:48 am

hi eric..
no, the sfrews are at the front of the engine bay, probably like yours.....[mine is a s4, but I think it will be the same]..
the screws are set into a f/glass projection and bear against the curved metal [ali?] part....there are two screws, one near the bottom of the curve, and one near the top .....I can take a pic if you want?

I don't know if my problem has been encountered before, hence my post!! :wink:

:D fred
'Never give up!....unless it's hopeless.....'

1970 S4 dhc big valve
1973 Ginetta G15
1967 Ginetta G4 [sadly now sold]
1959 lotus elite type 14
Elanconvert
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Sat May 03, 2014 10:45 am

lotus insurance 2014 002.jpg and
Fred,
Thankyou, I think I have got it now. Mine has five screws in that position but that may not be original as I have done many things to this car after I got it, and a lot of that was filling empty holes with what I found should be there. Slowly it improves.
Front of car is to the right.
However I have now realised that the two rear screws which are on a nearly vertical surface can be used to hold the bonnet forward to control the gap at the rear edge of the bonnet. You may have solved a problem for me. Thankyou.

Eric in Burnley
1967 S3SE DHC
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: