Door lock seized

PostPost by: TonyJ » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:26 am

I have Hykee door locks and the drivers side has seized/jambed. The guy I used to used to sort this problem has past away. Does anyone know a locksmith in the south east, west kent area who could sort it?

I have looked and googled but have no idea how to take the lock apart. It is a standard lock with the hykee tumbler. If anyone knows how to take the lock apart then please tell me as I'm happy to have a go.

So I need either an 'old fashioned' lock smith or someone to explain how to mend the lock myself. Please and thank you.

Regards, Tony
TonyJ
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:13 pm

Bell & Colvill are Lotus sellers & can probably sort it out for you.
http://www.bellandcolvill.com/

I suggest give us more details. Are you able to open the door? is it just the tumbler seized in the handle.

I don't know the Plus 2 but If it is a two seater Elan, you can probably take the handle off inside. {#} and pull away the trim to get at the levers near the lock and you may be able to jiggle them free.

{#} Twist the trim ring until you can (with difficulty) see the notch in its edge at the top. Then using a fine rod or pin punch tap the securing pin out via the bottom notch. Be careful that you do not lose the pin. The handle and trim ring will then come off the square shaft.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TonyJ » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:58 pm

Sorry I didn't say which car - it's a +2, 1974. I've removed lock from door and the'barrel' is stuck a little turned so can't get key in. Tried turning from the back but impossible to turn. Don't know how to remove the lock barrel form the outer casing?

It seized slighlty turned when I locked/unlocked the door from the inside.
TonyJ
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:17 pm

I suspect that you cannot normally get a lock barrel out unless it has the correct key already inserted in it.

Last resort is to drill it out and fit a new barrel.

Is there maybe a circlip on the inner side of the barrel?
Bill Williams

billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:19 pm

Do any of these pictures give you a clue on how to get it out?

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&new ... TaHTTSJjF8
Bill Williams

billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:23 pm

billwill wrote:Do any of these pictures give you a clue on how to get it out?

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&new ... TaHTTSJjF8

And you could try Google[hykee lock barrel repair]
and read those pages.
Bill Williams

billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nigelrbfurness » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:11 am

...or you could just buy a new lock from SJ Sportscars and save yourself a lot of grief! They're not hugely expensive.

Nigel F.
1970 S4SE/1760cc big valve/SA-AX block, L2s, 45DCOEs, 1978 Jensen GT, 1962 AH Sprite, Alfa-Romeo 159, 1966 Bristol Bus, 1947 AEC Regal bus.
nigelrbfurness
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:45 pm

Hope I'm not too late to the party.

I unfroze my 1970 Federal Plus 2S driver's side door lock. Was totally seized; could put the key in but could not turn it. Looked through my set of pix and found these. Hope they help. As I remember, the secret was to remove enough crude on the outside of the lock mechanism to detect a slim steel band around the unit (last pic especially shows this steel band and the subtle hook on one end of the band). This band removes and allows the unit to disassemble (everything that was put together can come apart!). Then it was a matter of soaking it long enough in the right penetrating/dissolving solutions, and giving it some mechanical persuasion.

Good luck; it can be done.

Randy

Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: