my new lenham hardtop

PostPost by: racy7 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:02 pm

just bought a new hardtop from Lenham Motor Company and had it painted to match the car
thought I would share the result
I am very pleased and my wife even more so as she is not a fresh air fan!!!

Now if only I can figure out how to add the photo's !
Attachments
008internet version.jpg and
007internet version.jpg and
racy7
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:49 pm

That looks fabulous :D

A pre-airflow Sprint lol

I'm going to have to buy one for my S4.

Thanks for the photos.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:09 am

I like it. Was any work needed on the fiberglass to make it fit, or was it pretty straightaway?

Greg Z
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: l10tus » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:56 am

Really looks at treat.

I have one to fit (eventually !), but I don't have the fixtures and fittings - are they available from Lenham, do you think ?

Is your rear screen heated?

Regards,

Phil.

Sometimes my Lotus makes me cry.
Philip.

UK '72 Sprint DHC

Sometimes my Lotus makes me cry.
l10tus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: racy7 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:02 am

Phil

the rear screen is not heated
re fixtures and fittings? well thats just edging strips and 2 clips So yes give Lenham a call they are really helpfull people

Greg
fitted first time...just needed to make a minor adjustment to my screen rail to accomodate the fibreglass which is marginally thicker than the soft top rail
racy7
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Paul Chapman » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:34 pm

Your new Lenham hard top looks great !

Any chance of a couple of pic's. from the inside to see how it looks from the cockpit ? Does it have any kind of head lining ?

Dear I ask what was the cost, I have looked at the Lenham web site today but there are are no prices quoted as yet ?
Paul
Paul Chapman
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: UAB807F » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:33 am

Yep, that's really neat, very much like the coupe version, a credit to Lenham & yourself.

How do they attach at the rear, does it use the existing studs or something else ? Like Paul I'd like to know the cost of the project (although no doubt it would be high enough to need project manager approval :) )

Brian
UAB807F
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: racy7 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:05 am

mounting is by a lip fitting to the top of the windscreen rail (same as the soft top) and by the J clip as shown. The J fits under the hinge of the soft top frame hinge. A very simple solution. The rear of the hardtop sits with no other fixing. This really does work well. I drove back from UK to Luxembourg in the pouring rain and can assure you no water came in nor was there any steaming up either!

Price :- I bought the very first hardtop which as you see from Lenham's photos on their website was in a greyish colour and I had it painted in Luxembourg. When I first asked them about price they said they were going to charge ?650 plus VAT and the the hardtops would be in Black fibreglass (I am not sure if they would be painting the black fibreglass)
Attachments
003.JPG and
002.JPG and
001.JPG and
racy7
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Paul Chapman » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:09 am

Thanks for the extra pic's. of the interior and the info. on the fixings / fastenings and the costs involved. One last question - Does it keep the rain ???

As Brain suggested, I may have to seek management approval to get the project underway !
Paul
Paul Chapman
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: racy7 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:40 am

does it keep the rain??
assuming you mean does it keep the rain out of the car .............. yes it most certainly does I was most impressed
racy7
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:09 am

Racy7,
Excuse me for resurrecting this topic, but can you give a report on your driving experience with regards to wind noise at the top of the screen where the hardtop connects into the lip?

At 65 + mph (110KM) my S4 has a lot of wind noise in this area with the soft top fitted, but is totally water tight and the hood doesn't flap about like some, it's a Sue Miller Mohair hood and very nice quality, but for longer touring it would be nice to have a bit more hush in the cabin.

The Lenham top looks very nice and they are only 20 minutes drive from my house, but I don't want to buy something that looks nice that doesn't improve the touring or track use of the car.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Apx » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:56 am

Just what i'm looking for can we have costs and contacts please?
IF EVERYTHING SEEMS TO BE GOING WELL, YOU HAVE OBVIOUSLY OVERLOOKED
SOMETHING.
Apx
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: racy7 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:00 am

Alan
having had the hardtop for one year now and using it quite a lot during the winter months , my experience is that i have less wind noise than with the soft top . I have a lot of problems with the soft top "lifting" from the screen rail but the hard top is very secure, never moving.
I am very satisfied with the Lenham and my only comments are that the fit over the rear bodywork is not perfect so I use foam to fill the small gaps and the fit around the doors is such that in heavy rain some drips do enter the car. These are very minor issues as far as I am concerned I am a very happy customer

Geoff
racy7
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: racy7 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:08 am

Apx
details are
Lenham Motor Company Ltd [email protected]
Rosehill Farm
Burnt Oak Road
High Hurstwood
Uckfield, East Sussex TN22 4AE
United Kingdom

tel 01825733060
racy7
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:13 am

Geoff,
thank you for the speedy reply, I will definitely consider one now.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: