Bonnet attachment springs

PostPost by: SamIAm » Thu May 03, 2012 4:40 pm

My S-3 came with no bonnet. It has Webers and I purchased a flat bonnet on e-bay. My question is can I somehow use the two spring on the side of the bonnet or do I have to modify the bonnet to use the centre spring. The body is off the frame so it is hard to figure if the side springs would work or not.

Graeme
SamIAm
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Thu May 03, 2012 7:01 pm

SamIAm wrote:My S-3 came with no bonnet. It has Webers and I purchased a flat bonnet on e-bay. My question is can I somehow use the two spring on the side of the bonnet or do I have to modify the bonnet to use the centre spring. The body is off the frame so it is hard to figure if the side springs would work or not.

Graeme

Hello Graeme,

I have yet to see an S3 that didn't have the centre bonnet spring...

But what bonnet modification is required? I assume you mean adding the centre attachment point.

If so, look at this thread wrt a metal strengthening "hoop"

elan-f14/bonnet-metal-hoop-when-was-introduced-t24719.html?hilit= bonnet

HIH

Cheers - Richard
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: lotusS2guy » Thu May 03, 2012 8:00 pm

Is there a current source for the twin springs on an S2 bonnet? Mine just doesn't jump up like it used to :oops: :wink:
Herb
26/4618
Herb
26/4618
lotusS2guy
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: SamIAm » Fri May 04, 2012 2:47 am

I probably wasn't clear on my first post. The bonnet I purchased was an early one, S2 I guess and has two bolts on the sides for springs. I hope to use the two springs system if there is a way of connecting the bottom and not fouling on something. I think the S3's had a larger radiator. Any idea's
Graeme
SamIAm
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Fri May 04, 2012 8:21 am

SamIAm wrote:I probably wasn't clear on my first post. The bonnet I purchased was an early one, S2 I guess and has two bolts on the sides for springs. I hope to use the two springs system if there is a way of connecting the bottom and not fouling on something. I think the S3's had a larger radiator. Any idea's
Graeme

Graeme,

Sorry, no, I should have read more carefully.

But, as you can see, the bonnet would need bolstering in some way to use a centre spring.
Do you have the two springs?

I have been looking for an under bonnet pic showing the early anchor points on the body...hopefully someone will be along shortly. But as you say, with a wider radiator, space is restricted.

Good Luck - Richard
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Fri May 04, 2012 8:38 am

ardee_selby wrote:
SamIAm wrote:I probably wasn't clear on my first post. The bonnet I purchased was an early one, S2 I guess and has two bolts on the sides for springs. I hope to use the two springs system if there is a way of connecting the bottom and not fouling on something. I think the S3's had a larger radiator. Any idea's
Graeme

Graeme,

Sorry, no, I should have read more carefully.

But, as you can see, the bonnet would need bolstering in some way to use a centre spring.
Do you have the two springs?

I have been looking for an under bonnet pic showing the early anchor points on the body...hopefully someone will be along shortly. But as you say, with a wider radiator, space is restricted.

Good Luck - Richard

elan-f14/and-bonnet-springs-t19388.html

I dunno about the question thats been posed, this topic discusses the S1 and S2 bonnet springs and shows much of the info needed for the roadsters, will it work for an S3? I don't know but the early Coupes used the same radiator as the roadster and the body style is the same for the type 45 as it is for the type 36. The money may not work with stock or ebay parts but thats not the question is it. Talks without photos is useless in my world. pictures tell the story talk is for bars and fish stories.

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Fri May 04, 2012 8:53 am

ardee_selby wrote:...hopefully someone will be along shortly.

Graeme,

I knew it...I just knew it!

Richard

P.S. Thanks Gary
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Orsom Weels » Fri May 04, 2012 9:00 am

If I remember/understand correctly, the S1&2 elans had a bespoke radiator which allowed use of the two springs but when Lotus started using the Triumph wide unit (I think late S2?s), this interfered with the bonnet springs so the single centre spring was developed & the bonnet altered to accept this arrangement, however, this led to bonnets distorting so the steel hoop was added to help strengthen the bonnet. They also changed to the Triumph narrower radiator at around the same time (S4 ?) although this has no effect on the spring arrangement, it?s the same spring for both Triumph type radiators. Don't know if the two spring system can be used with these rad's.
Hopefully someone can give a bit more accurate info on this.

Cheers, Tim
Orsom Weels
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Pastapesto » Fri May 04, 2012 9:57 am

Hi all

I think Tim has it correct with the differences of the rads. Just to add my understanding of it, the two springs will only fit with the early bespoke rad as the springs fit onto the two little holes in the chassis (near to the engine mount flanges) and pass very close to the sides of the early rad. The later rad (wide triumph style) is too wide & the later short style rad has wide brackets that are also in the way of where the two springs would fit. So just to re-cap, two springs only on early rad fitment, single centre spring for later types (obviously IMHO).

I had the same sort of problem with mine.

I think you can get the springs from Susan at Mick Miller Clasic Lotus +44 (0)1728 603307 & if not she will point you in the right direction. I assume you are in Europe but if not she can send them & I don't think they would be that expensive. I got my two new ones from her & they look perfect.

Good luck

Adam
Pastapesto
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rodlittle » Fri May 04, 2012 10:55 am

Matty sells the springs too I bought some last week
rod
rodlittle
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: SamIAm » Fri May 04, 2012 1:19 pm

Thanks to all of you for all this information and for digging in the archives for the threads and pictures. I will work this out and try and send pictures when done.
Graeme
SamIAm
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: skelteanema » Fri May 11, 2012 6:51 am

Hi Graeme,

I have an S3 DHC, with Weber?s and the flat bonnet typical of this model. The bonnet and spring arrangement has been modified to a two-spring system by the previous owner. I don't have photos at the moment and can't recall the details on how it was set up. I remember there is a metal strip running at the from lip of the bonnet with loops to accommodate the springs at the bonnet end, and at the chassis end there are a couple of extensions (made from aluminium channel) that the other end of the springs loop through. These extensions are not rigidly mounted so flop about which sometimes makes the springs a bit difficult to re-attach. I will try and take some photos as it is difficult to describe and I can't remember the exact layout from my (rather fading) memory :oops: . The system seems to work OK, but it is non standard and something that I may try and revert back to original, but it is low on my to-do list and at this stage I will leave well-enough alone. :roll:
Skittle. 1967 Elan S3 DHC
skelteanema
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: