S4 DHC trunk (boot) layout

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:38 pm

oldelanman wrote:Screw thread measures 3/16" diameter x 32 tpi (10.32 UNF ?) but if you're making one up it really doesn't matter what thread you use.

Originally this might be a 2BA screw (0.185" diameter and 31.4 threads per inch). BA screws are very common on trim pieces. Of course, as noted, you can do what you please if you are making your own.
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: fatboyoz » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:50 am

Rick,
The genuine article can still be had. I got mine from Paul Matty in the UK.
Regards,
Colin.

YellowS4DHC wrote:Roger

thanks for the photo and specs. I figure I can just grind down a ss bolt and get a pretty close copy.

Rick

'69 Elan S4 DHC
'57 T1 Speedster
'67 S800 Coupe
'68 S4 DHC
fatboyoz
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: abstamaria » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:20 am

fatboyoz wrote:Rick, The genuine article can still be had. I got mine from Paul Matty in the UK.
Regards,
Colin.

Yes, that was going to be my next question. Thanks, Colin. Roger, thank you again for taking the time to post the patterns and photos. I hope to be able to make my patterns this weekend on cardboard.

Elan Boot peg.jpg and

I may just have the peg machined in stainless steel. Here is Roger's excellent photo, which I altered a bit to show the machine shop the thickness of the shank. Would that be about right?

Andy
abstamaria
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Yum-yum » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Roger (oldelanman), thanks for posting the pattern for the boot floor.

I made one up this weekend for my S4 DHC and the fit is good. My fuel tank is mounted slightly angled with respect to the centerline of the car, rearward portion outward (possibly modified to allow storage of a larger wheel somewhere along the line), which results in a tapered gap between the new floor board and the tank. I think I will leave it as is because I cover the whole area with a carpet anyway.

I discarded my original board some twenty odd years ago because it was an ugly, non-function-able piece (not even sure if it was plywood), fortunately I kept the two latch parts. The new floorboard makes things look much better.
Alex
45/8236
Redwood City, CA
Yum-yum
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:11 pm

Yum-yum wrote:Roger (oldelanman), thanks for posting the pattern for the boot floor.

Thanks Alex, my pleasure. Glad it was useful to you - and a few others as well it seems. Thanks for taking the time to post your results.
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: abstamaria » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:57 am

I had two pegs machined in stainless steel by a friend of mine, based on Roger's (Oldelanman's) photo. As I mentioned, my Elan was always missing this item.

Many thanks, Roger, all.

Andy
Attachments
DSC00123_2.JPG and
abstamaria
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:16 am

Very nice Andy.
I'm sure you've already thought of it but it's a good idea to use a thin washer either side of the plywood when you fit the peg so it doesn't pull through - the spring clip holds the peg really tightly and needs a good sharp tug on the boot board to release it.
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: abstamaria » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:54 am

Thanks, Roger. I won't forget to use washers.

Best,

Andy
abstamaria
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:44 am

oldelanman wrote:Very nice Andy.
I'm sure you've already thought of it but it's a good idea to use a thin washer either side of the plywood when you fit the peg so it doesn't pull through - the spring clip holds the peg really tightly and needs a good sharp tug on the boot board to release it.

Yep. That's why I had to replace the board. As bought mine had a countersunk screw which was soon left behind...

Richard
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: