Front Plate Holder Solution

PostPost by: nomad » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:12 am

Probably right James. All they should be able to issue is a fix-it ticket as you mentioned. Believe that all my friend got was a warning. I may just take a chance!

Kurt
26/3754
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gearbox » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:54 pm

In New Jersey if you get vintage plates or historic plates you don't have to use the front plate. I have attached the regulation that I keep in my glove box. As for the the other non historical plate solutions, there are laws against obstructed views of the plate, so if you get an exceptionally ill tempered trooper, he could write you up for that as well. Bottom line, if they really want to get you, they will.
Attachments
front plate NJ.pdf
(14.81 KiB) Downloaded 518 times
gearbox
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: bitsobrits » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:07 am

I've been running the original British plates (w/ "breath through" front) on my RHD S1 since 1989. I've been asked a couple of times by law enforcement about the plates, and after I indicate the car is fully licensed (Iowa), and offer to show them the plates, they send me on my way.

My only ticket for "improperly displayed plates" came after I was doing a test and tune of my new Dellortos on a rural highway and failed to notice a Sheriffs Deputy pull out behind me from a side road. I was checking full and part throttle acceleration so was running up through the gears, then quickly slowing, before running it up again. Did this a few times at ever increasing rev rates with a final blast up to 6000+rpm in 4th. I was naturally focused forward and without the top on, things were pretty noisy so didn't notice the siren a mile or so back until I slowed down to take the exit for the town where I live. By the time I stopped, I had two Sheriffs cars and one local Police car, with a total of 5 officers. Once they realized I wasn't trying to escape in a stolen car as the original Deputy had assumed and was simply a car guy out to "see what it can do", we talked cars for a bit and they sent me on my way with the "improper display" ticket. Seems the pursuing Deputy had failed to turn on his radar and was also unable to pace me due to my wildly varying speed, so no speeding ticket.
Steve

Elan S1 1963-Bourne bodied
Elan S3 1967 FHC pre airflow

Formerly:
Elan S1 1964
Elan S3 1966 FHC pre airflow
Elan S3 1967 FHC airflow
Elan S4 1969 FHC
Europa S2 1970
Esprit S2 1979
bitsobrits
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Fred Talmadge » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:35 pm

Here is a another companies idea for front plates.
http://altecproducts.com/
Fred Talmadge
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gearbox » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:58 pm

Fred Talmadge wrote:Here is a another companies idea for front plates.
http://altecproducts.com/

Very cool, not sure how it would mount to an Elan, but cool nevertheless. al la 007. But will it get you out of a ticket?
gearbox
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Lotus54 » Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:59 pm

In Washington State, Historic plates only have a rear.

So I downloaded the ‘official’ UK number plate font, designed up and 3D printed the numbers/letters to match the rear. I designed small angled holes so I could use some small tie-wraps to hold to front grill. They look great.
1966 Lotus Elan S3- Benelli motorcycles (various)
Lotus54
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: spanner » Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:19 pm

pharriso wrote:New York also requires a front plate. This car was at Lime Rock:
The attachment FrontPlate.jpg is no longer available

In 1964 and 1965 NY State had just one plate. Makes a great rear-only World’s Fair historic plate!

https://licenseplates.ws/?new-york
Attachments
world's fair.jpeg and
spanner
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: