Front Plate Holder Solution

PostPost by: Tahoe » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:29 pm

Maybe not for everyone but in the states most if not all states require a front license plate. Below is a solution from an MX5. It's a swinging holder thats made of plastic, weighs nothing and swings up out of the way when your driving approx 30 mph or if you hit a parking curb it will pivot up.

I drilled some new holes closer to the pivot and plan on cutting it shorter.

Purchased from: thompson-automotive.com
Cost $40 with tax and shipping but it works for me.

Tahoe
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Fred Talmadge » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:02 pm

They up'd the fine to $200 here in Texas for not having a front plate, so I'm biting the bullet and getting this. I'm kind of guessing I want the one for the early version Miata. Also notice it's a bit cheaper now. If Tahoe is still here would it be possible to upload your images? Oh and here is updated link
http://www.thompson-automotive.com/cata ... 381001.htm
Fred Talmadge
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:11 pm

I'd be grateful if you could provide feedback on it. I was thinking that I probably just risk the fine with my car and play the "Where could I fit it officer?" if i did get pulled for it. I'd be interest to hear your thoughts on this solution.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Tahoe » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:05 am

It's not the best solution but does work. Not sure if it's worth sacrificing the clean front end but here it is after I stopped. When driving it does fold up. Had my wife drive while I watched her come down the street.

By the way those ugly flares may be gone by Spring. At least that's the plan right now.
Apr 18 2013 001.JPG and
Tahoe
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Tahoe » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:14 am

One more comment. I also with in the last 3 weeks mounted it in the grill. It will slip between the grill and the body work and most of the plate is visible. I wanted to see what would happen to the temp with and without. I noticed approx. a 5 C increase in temp while driving but the temp never got above 90 C so all was still okay. This was in slow traffic and around 88 F outside at 6500 ft. I do have a rather large Aluminum radiator so cooling has never been an issue and I don't run an electric fan just a very light 4 blade plastic fan off of a Datsun 1600 DHC.
Tahoe
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:54 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I was wondering it would go in the grill hole and whether it would effect the engine temperature much, especially with the temps here in Texas. I am also little concerned that mounted on the underside it would be very close to the ground on my +2. Sounds like it is a workable solution for a problem without a really good solution...

Nice passenger BTW :)
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Fred Talmadge » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:13 pm

Thanks for the picture. I was thinking it would fit inside the opening, like it shows on the Miata. On my previous Elan I had the plate mounted there but in a fixed position and it got bent and beat up so that it was almost unreadable. In fact I got pulled over and bent it back down and avoided the ticket.

You're right it does nothing to improve the looks but it looks like a good enough solution. Thanks again.
Fred Talmadge
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Tahoe » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:31 am

I was thinking of mounting it in the grill opening and it could be done with some work but it would be partially hidden like when the plate is sandwiched between the grill and body. I do have another idea for making it disappear and may give it a shot this Winter while waiting for the snow to melt. If it works I'll post.
Tahoe
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:49 am

New York also requires a front plate. This car was at Lime Rock:
FrontPlate.jpg and

Apparently the plate is hinged at the top & swings up at speed. The owner has had no police attention in several years.
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vernon.taylor » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:49 am

That's the kind of simple but ingenious solution that I appreciate !
vernon.taylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Tahoe » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:35 pm

Yup, that's what I was going to do next. As a matter of fact that was what I was going to do first, but didn't take the time to do it. Problem is my new plates which will be black (now white), against a black grill.Will the plates be visible? The lettering is a gold color so will need to see how it looks first before putting behind like shown.

As I write this I realized I have an old black plate in the garage attic I can put back there to try out.
Tahoe
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: nomad » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:19 pm

Better check with local law enforcement before the folding plate expense. Here in So Dak a friend made a folding plate attachment for his Miata several years ago and was forced to remove it. According to the officer that if it was not visible to him at speed it was the same as running without the plate.
I'm planning on just making my plate skeleton so that air will flow through. There sure isn't a good place to mount one. Of course the Corvette guy's in this state seem to get by without one but that seems to be just the way things work here. Local cop has a list of licence plates he's not supposed to stop!

Kurt.
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: holywood3645 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:34 pm

Front plate.......you dont need no stinking front plate.... Just the numbers attached to the grill.

I have been running this in California for a year on my Elan without any resistance from authorties. Same DMV reg number allociated to the car, Bought letters from ebay in the UK.

These are the style that were fitted on my first Lotus Elan when i lived in N.Ireland.

James
Attachments
front plate 1.jpg and
front plate.pdf
(569.6 KiB) Downloaded 387 times
holywood3645
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nomad » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:11 am

Sadly, 40 years ago when I owned my MG TC I could run the British numbers for a license here in So Dak. All that was necessary was to register it with the DMV. Now day's however the bureaucracy rules and one has to stay in step.

Kurt
26/3754
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: holywood3645 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:44 pm

Im sure the DMV rules are the same in California. Maybe the police here are a little more understanding. I could only ever seeing a fixit ticket being issued if i was ever pulled over. I have the California DMV plate on the rear..

Thy cops here worry more about Seat belt, laws, speeding and motorclyists wearing Helmets

James
holywood3645
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: