pedal shaft bearings

PostPost by: jmp » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:14 pm

Moving on to the next problem. There is movement in the brake and clutch pedal shaft bearings!!. Presumably this is a common problem and how easy/difficult is it to replace them?

John
jmp
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jono » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:08 pm

I reamed out the pedals and pivots on the pedal box and fitted oilite bushes - now smooth as silk and entirely 'slop' free :D

PS: there are no bearings in the original pedal box
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: miked » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:46 pm

Hi Jono,

Just read this with interest. I picked up a fresh pedal box at Donny and want to do a better job over winter. I looked on net at the flanged Oilite bushes. Great job, I did not know about these. Was going to make some up. How do you fix them in box body? Are the just a light friction fit in the box side holes, or do they require more to prevent turning?

Mike :D
Mike

Elan S4 Zetec
Suzuki Hustler T250
Suzuki TC120R trailcat
Yamaha YR5
Suzuki Vstrom 650XT
Suzuki TS185K
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:45 pm

miked wrote:How do you fix them in box body?

You don't want the shaft to rotate in the pedal box although Lotus didn't design it to prevent rotation. If the shaft rotates in the box there is always the possibility that all three pedals will move when you want only one to. I made a new shaft from stainless rod with a ground finish on the OD and brazed an arm on the end so that I could pass a 1/4" bolt into the box. This fixes the shaft in position. I then added oilite bushes to the pedals as did Jono.
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gerrym » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:54 pm

John, similar to other posters, I reamed the pedals out to 13mm and purchased centreless ground bar stock (check correct tolerance) for a new shaft. I used Igus bearings instead of Oilite. The Igus bearings have top hat "thrust washers" integral to stop friction between the pedals.

regards
Gerry
gerrym
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: