Bonnets...and staying on....

PostPost by: peterako » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:10 am

Hi Guys,

Any suggestings on how to make the Bonnet more secure on the +2?

The front is just held on by two bolts screwed through the bonnet metal into a (non-threaded) bobbin either side on the body.

The back by two spring loaded pins to catches on the body.

Anyone know where I can get the spring loaded (Bonnet side) Pins and springs?

Thanks in advance,
Peter
peterako
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: andyelan » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:47 am

Hi Peter

This has been covered before in some detail if you do a search

On my own Plus 2, for the pivots, I've drilled out the threads in the bonnet and use bolts with a plain portion screwed into the body. I then have a lock nut screwed onto the end of the bolts from inside the wheel arch. Now the bolts stay fixed and the bonnet pivots around them. Unfortunatly, from the way you describe things, you can't do this as you say there are no threads in the bobbins on your car, however, as the bolts were originall 1/4 UNC you might want to consider re-drilling and tapping them to take 5/16 UNF bolts.

This by the way is the set-up for the Europa and as far as I'm aware these don't have any problem loosing their bonnets

As far as the pins and springs go these were common on many British car of the '60s and '70s however my first stop would be someone like Paul Matty. If these items are still available at all then he will most likley to have some

Regards
Andy
andyelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:10 pm

Peter,

Am I right in understanding a storm gust may have blown the bonnet off , the front of the bonnet bending and allowing the pins to pull out ?

This topic is here: elan-plus-f13/bonnet-hood-mod-t20844-15.html

Have a look at my mod: bonnet pins are threaded through to nuts brazed to the frame, which eliminates the undesirable single shear design (as is also used in the headlamp pods) Bonnet can be removed by releasing the prop, and backing off a bolt on one side only :D

The spring bolts mentioned in the topic also look a good system, but I haven't been able to source bolts small and light enough :(

Sean
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:43 pm

Hi. If you don't have threads in the bobbins presumably you can't adjust the gaps either side of the bonnet either, other than using washers etc. Maybe you could put helicoil inserts into the bobbins to repair them - the drill for the insert is oversize and usually comes in the helicoil insert kit - the insert lets you keep the standard bolt size. A lock washer and threadlock or something similar should stop the bolts coming out of the bonnet.

Sean.
Last edited by alaric on Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:29 pm

Hi Sean,
if you use helicoils, you need longer versions, I tried standard length coils they are useless - I'm now in the process of fitting new bobbins (when the weather gets warmer).

Mike
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:39 pm

I know a bit off topic but I was driving along in my Ginetta G15 when I was in my twenties and up flew the bonnet up over the car landing right way up behind the car, luckily no other traffic was arround. I picked it up re did the long rod with the centre lock nut, (you think the +2 is basic!!) and carried on, hardly a scratch on the bonnet! :D

Terry
PS This won't go in the Wiki!!!
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:20 pm

CANT BEAT 200 mph dzuse fasteners ---- they require some drilling and bracket fabricating but they work and look so 'BOY RACER' --BUT you must always carry a hapney in the pocket to turn them ---a ----ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: kstrutt11 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:51 pm

After the unfortunate experince of my bonnet coming off, have drillled the bolt heads and lock them with wire looped around the cross tube.
kstrutt11
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: