Dash wood: teak, walnut, mahogany?

PostPost by: RotoFlexible » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:20 pm

Since Gary says we need to post more (see "Top 20 talkers" thread), I thought I'd start a good old-fashioned debate on the wood species used for the various Elan dashboards. That's bound to generate some traffic.

Brian Buckland says that S1's had oiled teak dashes, the remaining series all used "polished walnut." Some posts said mahogany for the later cars. I looked through old posts and found neither a debate nor any consensus. I am planning to get a new dash built by C&G Woodcraft, and Gary (of that company) thinks that S4 dashes use teak. (I don't know his basis for that belief, however.)

Any takers?
Andrew Bodge
'66 Elan S2 26/4869
I love the sound of a torque wrench in the morning. Sounds like... progress.
RotoFlexible
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: collins_dan » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:52 pm

I am having a mahogany dash built for my '70 S4 as that most closely matches what came with the car originally. Once I receive it, I'll take pictures of each, old and new. Dan
collins_dan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:05 pm

From the 1971 Elan Sprint factory brochure:

"... a fine teak veneer facia ..."

It would have been the same for the S4, too.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:51 pm

The S2 (26/4997) is origanal and the S2 SE (26/5447) I believe to be original, I don't think either are teak. The S1 is teak I think that the S2's were Walnut.

elan-f14/and-dash-trim-question-t18371-15.html

I have other original dashes if you want to send Gary the above link.

The S3 right hand drive dash is not teak, I would need to look at it more carefully to see what "I think" it is. Mark I hope will be along to comment on this. He has a good grasp of what is and what isn't. I don't think any reproduction is a bad thing and in the U.S. will add value to any Elan. What ever you like you should do as its your Elan and you are the one that is going to live with it. Andy, I don't think you are going to sell it EVER judging by how long you have owned it.

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cabc26b » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:38 am

Based on what I have run across in my cars - I would vote for all three woods being used depending on what was in stock or overstocked ...

this is the variety I have run across in my own cars -

s1's 63-64 - teak oil finish , 2 piece dash
s1 64 late walnut varnished , single piece
67/68 s1a & s1b type 46 europa's mahogany varnished ( I recall the s3 having mahogany but have never owned one)

George
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:03 am

Hello from a taker.
My S1 has an original primitive teak plywood dash.
I have another original spare S1 dash, separate glove box design, and it is of a most beautiful unknown wood. I'll try and post a picture. It has the little plastic trim pieces tacked on the bottom edges. Totally different from my Elan's dash...

Eric
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gordont » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:38 am

As not a massive fan of the originality team I would be going with whatever looks the best in your car. :D There seems to be fair reason to believe that the timber changed over the years so unless a concours car why not go with something you like - personally the oiled ones always look tatty to me.
Gordon
26/5416
gordont
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: dlbutler » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:16 pm

I bought my ?lan in January 1980 and the PO had repaired it after a fire. The cowl fiberglass, wire harness and fascia were replaced (and many other small parts). The PO said that the fascia came from Lotus (it's cracked enough to make me believe it!); one of the last replacement parts available. I've tried to match it with veneer samples on the internet, but can't seem to find a match. The closest I've found is quartersawn Cherry ( http://www.formwood.com/CherryQuarteredVeneer.html ). It looks different from the other fascias I've seen. The radio hole plug came from a TC Europa and does not match.
Attachments
P1010006s.JPG and
P1010003s.JPG and
1969 Elan S4
1700 cc, Dave Bean #112 cams.
Union Jack Exotics
dlbutler
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:21 pm

dlbutler wrote:I bought my ?lan in January 1980 and the PO had repaired it after a fire. The cowl fiberglass, wire harness and fascia were replaced (and many other small parts). The PO said that the fascia came from Lotus (it's cracked enough to make me believe it!); one of the last replacement parts available. I've tried to match it with veneer samples on the internet, but can't seem to find a match. The closest I've found is quartersawn Cherry ( http://www.formwood.com/CherryQuarteredVeneer.html ). It looks different from the other fascias I've seen. The radio hole plug came from a TC Europa and does not match.

Both my 68 S4SE and 72 Sprint were/are exactly the same plywood as in your photos (not the radio blank, which looks different). The only walnut ones I've discussed with owners have been replacement items; I've always considered them a bit too "posh" for the Elan but more appropriate in the luxo-barge +2.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RedS4 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:46 pm

My Elan is very original, including its dash. The photos below comparing my dash with the samples from http://www.formwood.com/veneerlibrary.html suggest that it is either teak or afromosia. Most books I have read suggest that the baby Elans came with teak and that only the +2's were fitted with walnut by the factory.

An interesting twist is that the grain in mine runs vertically..... 8)
Attachments
teak_qrtd3.jpg
teak_qrtd3.jpg (32.38 KiB) Viewed 3599 times
afromosia3.jpg
afromosia3.jpg (31.59 KiB) Viewed 3598 times
P1010252.sml.JPG and
P1010059.mdm.JPG and
Evan J
Elan S4 FHC RHD 36/8569 AND White Evora S..
RedS4
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Gordon Sauer » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:36 pm

My '67 S3 dhc bought in '72 has dash identified by wood guys as mahogany--the main issue is that the Elan had straight grain wood dash; then my 72 +2S130 has burl and it is walnut. The '67 was not oiled but the nice, crackable thick lacquar that was apparently used. Gordon Sauer
Gordon Sauer
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mac5777 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:42 pm

When I bought my 66 S3 coupe, it came with a horizonal walnut cracked varnish finish. I striped it, refinished it with a satin finish (see pic) and sold it for a new Randy - African Rosewood dash.

Sarto

DSC00133.JPG and
lotus elan 1966 S3 FHC
36/5785
LHD
mac5777
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:14 am

RedS4 wrote:My Elan is very original, including its dash. The photos below comparing my dash with the samples from http://www.formwood.com/veneerlibrary.html suggest that it is either teak or afromosia. Most books I have read suggest that the baby Elans came with teak and that only the +2's were fitted with walnut by the factory.

An interesting twist is that the grain in mine runs vertically..... 8)

Really? First Elan that I have ever seen with "original" grain running upwards. 40 years on, one still lives and learns. :roll:
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jens » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:45 pm

I would go to a good furnituremaker or someone who makes boet interiors to have the das rebuilt or renovated.
Often the lacquer tends to get a slightly different colour over time, so that will have effect on what a dashboard looks like after roughly 50 years.
The question is if you want to have a almost original, reproduced dashboard with the original colour or if you want to have a dashboard that has the same appearance as the old one, meaning that the colour has changed.

I, for one, IF needed, would go for a reproduction of the original dashboard, hence taking the different (original) colour for granted.

J
"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong - look at what they can do to a Weber carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver..." (CABC)

My one problem is that distance keeps me from my Elan. (36/5395)
Jens
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:11 pm

elansprint71 wrote:Really? First Elan that I have ever seen with "original" grain running upwards. 40 years on, one still lives and learns. :roll:

I agree, I've never seen one and to be honest it looks a bit odd ..... no offence intended :wink:
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: