Fitting a Mohair Hood to Elan DHC

PostPost by: nico506 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:38 pm

Hi All,
I am about to fit the above hood which is new to my Lotus Elan S3 , and ask if like the everflex and vynyl hoods whether raised temperatures is needed to assist the stretching of the materials during intallation - prior to hood loops being putinto position.

The material seems more fabric based rather than a polyvynl whichexpnds and contracts with changes in temperature - hence the need to install a plastic hood in a warm environment.

Any tips or experiences appreciated

Thanks in advance for help

Nico
nico506
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: fatboyoz » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:09 am

Nico,
I fitted a new mohair hood and quarter tonneau (hood cover) in Jan' this year, right in the middle of a hot summer, inside an even hotter shed. The hood cover was actually too small, and no amount of pulling achieved an appreciable amount of stretch. Had to have it cut and resewn to fit. The hood was also a reasonably tight fit (as it should be so that it doesn't sag and flap in the breeze), but has become easier, with time, to put up and down as the material takes a "set". I have actually left the hood up for the last six months to achieve this "set". So, in answer to your question, even in the middle of a hot summer, not much stretch.
Colin.

nico wrote:Hi All,
I am about to fit the above hood which is new to my Lotus Elan S3 , and ask if like the everflex and vynyl hoods whether raised temperatures is needed to assist the stretching of the materials during intallation - prior to hood loops being putinto position.

The material seems more fabric based rather than a polyvynl whichexpnds and contracts with changes in temperature - hence the need to install a plastic hood in a warm environment.

Any tips or experiences appreciated

Thanks in advance for help

Nico
'68 S4 DHC
fatboyoz
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: SADLOTUS » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:03 am

Ditto what Fatboyoz said, left my hood up for six months too, still very tight. Seems mohair will stretch a tiny bit - allow this when fiting.
SADLOTUS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:42 pm

Mohair is apparently not correct for the car, but I suppose you know that already?

Great fun that hood fitting caper eh?

Alex B.... 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TBG » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:10 am

I have just put my hood - mohair - up for the first time in a couple of years or so. Yes I have got a bit damp on occasion! But it has shrunk. I have tried the heat route but to no avail. This way seems to be working........ :shock:

Spot hood.jpg and
TBG
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:18 pm

Very nice,
for me Mohair is the best and a bit of class compared to plastic.
On my 1978 TVR 3000S it has a plastic ragtop and i hate it. The problem is it's in good condition so at the moment i can't justify buying a Mohair one.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Seamus » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:57 pm

I concur that there is very little give with mohair hoods and if left down for lengthy periods they can shrink, I have an MGC with a mohair hood and to me it definitely gives both a more luxurious feel and look.

The vinyl roof on my Elan looks cheap by comparison .
Attachments
P1030006.JPG and
P1000964.JPG and
Seamus Doyle

1968 Elan S4 45/8357
1968 MGC Roadster
2002 MG TF160
2008 Lotus 2-Eleven
Seamus
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: TBG » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:17 pm

The three five litre containers have done the trick!! Much easier to fit now. :D
TBG
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:39 am

my top is only in use in winter or NEVER, because it only once got really wet: on vacation to Elba Island when a thunderstorm got to us.otherwise i wait for dry streets...............my cover is mohair, but looks a bit shady due to sunshine sandy
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: