+2 convertible hood brackets

PostPost by: sting » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:50 pm

I am building an elan +2s convertible and have the hood frame and hood but do not have the brackets that mount the frame to the bodyshell, can anybody help with some photo's of these brackets. It doesn't look difficult to fabricate them but i would like to make them as the original Christopher Neil style if possible. thanks
sting
New-tral

PostPost by: Bob » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:09 pm

Why dont you ask man who is selling this to send you a photo, if I win it i will send you one.
Bob
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT
S4, S2 and a +2 Zetec on the way
Bob
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: sting » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:43 am

thanks, I'll contact the seller today. I've looked on ebay and the car is no longer for sale, did you buy it? Looks like a good project
sting
New-tral

PostPost by: Bob » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:53 am

Hi, No I did not buy it it has been withdrawn because its a cat C write off. Not that that matter to an Elan. What it really means is the insurance assessor had no idea what to do with an Elan or there value. The guy emailed me to tell me so I will email your request to him.
Bob
S4, S2 and a +2 Zetec on the way
Bob
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: sting » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:26 pm

Hi bob, thanks for contacting him, shame about the cat c, but still worth doing, looks like it was a nice car. Ian
sting
New-tral

PostPost by: kstrutt11 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:31 pm

Which particular bracket are you looking for?
Mine is based on Christopher Niel components, the pivots for the frame are rose joints screewed into the hood tray, at the top of the windscreen I made brackets in stainless.
kstrutt11
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: sting » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:11 am

Hi, its the pivot brackets for the frame I'm looking for, thanks. i'm almost ready to paint but want to trial fit the hood before its to late! thanks Ian.
sting
New-tral

PostPost by: Hethel_Haus » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:41 pm

When you say you are "building" a convertible +2S, does that mean you are restoring a car that was already a convertible, or are you cutting off the top of an original coupe and making it into a convertible? Living in the US, I have never seen a convertible Plus 2. If anyone has any firsthand experience cutting off a top and making it into a convertible, I would like to know some of the pitfalls involved. I love the looks of both cars, but for me, top-down motoring in good weather is definitely the best!
Steve
'73 Elan +2S 130/5 Cabriolet
Hethel_Haus
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: sting » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:05 pm

I have a +2 with excellent mechanics and chassis and awful shell and a professionaly converted convertible shell that i am transfering the parts to. the shell came with the hood and hood frame but not the pivot brackets. If you run a search on this site you can find a few photo's of +2 cabriolets, i struggled to find them but they are worth searching for. I'm sure there are a few people out there who could post pictures for you, it makes a very nice looking car. I,m surprised Lotus never built one. Ian
sting
New-tral

PostPost by: kstrutt11 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:30 pm

I converted mine around 10 years ago, It's great and I have never looked back, I did far more than just chop the roof off though, I closed in reinforced and foam filled some sections of the body and added a reinforcing frame behind the dash and around the windscreen.

The hood, hood tray and frame came from Christopher Niel, the rest I made myself, I did do a full write up of it for the insurance, I may still have it somewhere if anyone is interested.
kstrutt11
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: sting » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:32 am

would be really interested in reading the write up, particularily what sections you foam filled, would also be great to see some pics of the car. I'm based in Kent and would love to see a car in the flesh. I've only seen mine and photo's.
sting
New-tral

PostPost by: kstrutt11 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:32 pm

You should have a PM now.
kstrutt11
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: