Clear windshields

PostPost by: saildrive2001 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:50 pm

I have been in contact with Pilkington Classics in the US & have found out that clear windshields are available. They will shortly be in a position to place an order with Pilkington in the UK for S1 & the (S2, S3 & S4) windshields. This would be your opportunity for anyone in North America to get a clear windshield for their car. Pilkington US only normally carry greeen tinted glass.
I am organizing for people in the Toroto area to have a bulk shipment from Pilkington in Ohio shipped to my house. If anyone else in NA are interested I could forward their name & contact to Pilkington US, maybe we can get a discount if we have enough people interested.
If the order is placed in the near future then delivery would be end of May early June.
Keith Marshall
69 S4 SE DHC RHD Original owner
saildrive2001
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Ross Robbins » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:55 pm

Keith,
I would be interested in a clear screen for my S2, depending on cost, although I thought the proper version was like the S1 not the S3. I remember a thread where Gary Anderson wrote:"ORDER a S1 WINDSCREEN For your S2 If YOU DON'T YOU WILL BE getting the wrong WINDSCREEN. An S2 order will be for a S2 Coupe, S3 or S4.
Ask me how I know..."

I am but the Grasshopper at the foot of the Master :? :roll:
Ross Robbins
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: saildrive2001 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:52 pm

I am getting a cost for the S1. My understanding is that the S2 DHC uses the S1 winshield & all other elans use the same i.e. S2 coupe & all S3 & S4's.
The price for the S4 style is US$350.
Keith Marshall
saildrive2001
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: kenb » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:21 am

Give me time to dig my windshield out of the basement.
I may be interested in going in with you to get a replacement for my S1.
kenb
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Dennis 45/9760 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:05 am

Thanks Keith

If the (delivered in one piece) price is not crazy money I could be interested in a clear one for an S4. Am in the Chicago area and with friends rebuilding our 1970 S4.
Dennis
Dennis 45/9760
New-tral

PostPost by: dpchamp87 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:36 pm

Keith,

I am interested in a new clear 'screen. I am in CT and have a 1970 S4 DHC with a windscreen that is separating on both sides.

David
dpchamp87
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: salty » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:01 pm

Greetings,

I also am interested in a clear windshield--for an S3 FHC. A few days ago I received an email reply to some questions I asked about tires and windshields from Randall Fehr. He said to make sure to ask for authentic Triplex windshields.
salty
New-tral

PostPost by: saildrive2001 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:09 am

I am still waiting for the price of the S1 winshields. The windshileds will be coming from Pilkington Glass in the UK which owns the Triplex name. They are Triplex laminated windshields.
Keith Marshall
saildrive2001
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Jon Eckman » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:42 pm

I am also in CT and would be interested in a new clear windshield. My S3 was originally a coupe the was converted to a DHC if that makes a difference.
Jon Eckman
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: saildrive2001 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:53 pm

I have negotiated a group price for new Triplex clear Elan windshields. The price is US$315 from Pilkington Classics provided we can get 10 or more orders. I have received interest so far from at least ten so we should be in good shape. Clear glass is not normally available in NA (green tint is normally stocked). If you want to purchase a clear windshield for any S1, S2, S3 or S4 Elan this is what you have to do.
Contact Shawn Megown by either telephone 614 539 8430 or by e-mail at [email protected] & mention my name Keith Marshall.
Your order must be placed by the 7th April to get this price.
Shipping costs are $100 to a business in the US or $150 to a private residence.
All taxes etc are extra.
Shipping cost to Canada would be approx. US$150 Shawn can confirm with you when you place the order.
Delivery is expected in June.
You can pay by Visa or Mastercard.

Several of you from CT have sent me e-mails showing interest. A suggestion for you is that if you live close you could have the windshieds shipped to one address & share the shipping costs.

For those in the Toronto area please contact me directly so that we can arrange to share one shipping container & the costs.

I have attached below an excerpt from a previous post from Gary Anderson which is of interest to S2 roadster owners. Please make sure you order the correct windshield.

ALL roadsters use the same windscreen, there is only one. If Matty has an issue its because the manufacture has changed the product. The S1, S2 and Coupe Master parts book lists the same screen part number for both S1 and S2 Roadster there is another for the then NEW (1966) S2 Coupe that was used until the Sprint went out of production.

Part numbers for the S1 and S2 roadster and the S2 Coupe from the parts manual are as follows
Illustration Part Number Decription - Height - Width
BA133 ---- 26B 029 --- Windscreen - 18.125 - 45.5 -- bottom corners are rounded - ROADSTER
BB140 ---- 36B 029 --- Windscreen - 19.000 - 46.25 - bottom corners are pointed - COUPE

The measurements were taken from oem factory windscreens as I write this, this is the overall length and height of the screen itself out of the screen frame just as a glass supplier would measure it.

new part number were as of 2004 were

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=10074&view=previous

I came across a windscreen sticker the other day that was affixed
to a new windscreen that I installed a few years back in my old S4 dhc. Triplex lists the part # HT0265 GN fitting Lotus S2, S3, and S4. I got beat on this 25 years ago when I ordered one for my S2 and
recieved one for the S4 windscreeen. So now when I go looking for S2
windscreen I tell them its for a S1. triplex part# for the S1
windsceen is HT0166

elan-archive-f16/windshields-t9689.html

Try Lo-Can Glass at 64 Cummings Park Woburn, MA 01801-2124
Richard Tankel is the manager there and the phone # is 800 345-9595
http://www.locanglass.com/contact.asp
I got one there last Summer, but its was for a series 3. There are 2
kinds, one is HT166 in clear ($261) or tinted ($274) that covers the
S1 and S2 roadsters, just call it a S1 and keep the confusion down.
The other is for the later models, S2 coupe, S3 dhc and coupe and S4
dhc and coupe which is more money. The later windscreen has sharp
corners near the scuttle where the early windscreen (HT166) has
rounded corners and are easier to install.

The following topic is about screen frame differences for the S1 and S2, there is some but its not in the opening for the screen. There is only one roadster screen frame listed for both S1 and S2 Roadsters but there are two types, see Bill Gavins photos in the following topic. The part number listed for both is 26 B 702

elan-f14/window-frame-question-t14118.html
Gary
Keith Marshall
saildrive2001
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: RotoFlexible » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:03 pm

saildrive2001 wrote:Several of you from CT have sent me e-mails showing interest. A suggestion for you is that if you live close you could have the windshields shipped to one address & share the shipping costs.

I am in eastern Massachusetts (NW of Boston), not very close to the Connecticut customers. Any other takers in this area? I'd be happy to consolidate a shipment.
Andrew Bodge
'66 Elan S2 26/4869
I love the sound of a torque wrench in the morning. Sounds like... progress.
RotoFlexible
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: RotoFlexible » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:20 pm

For future reference, there is a long thread about replacing windscreens here. The title says S4 but it seems to cover the early cars as well. Reading it makes me wonder about the wisdom of attempting this job myself.
I also found this post from Sebring in the Windshield Availability thread:
Paul Mattey sports cars in UK can supply Pilkingtons/Triplex untinted screens for S1+S2 cars ... both S1+S2 replacement screens did not have the curvature of my orginal and some glassfibre work was required to get the frame an exact match.

That's worrysome.
Andrew Bodge
'66 Elan S2 26/4869
RotoFlexible
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: saildrive2001 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:41 pm

A friend who just rebuilt a Europa ordered a replacement windshield & had an installer come to his house to install it, that's what I will do.
In regards to the S1, S2 issue please read the excerpt from Gary Anderson that I copied in the earlier notification.
Keith Marshall
saildrive2001
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: RotoFlexible » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:31 am

saildrive2001 wrote:In regards to the S1, S2 issue please read the excerpt from Gary Anderson that I copied in the earlier notification.

I did. I am clear on which windscreen I need (the S1/S2 roadster, round corner type). I took "Sebring"'s post to mean that he had the correct windscreen but it still didn't fit quite right.
Interesting video from Moss Motors on MGB aftermarket windscreens (and a ringing endorsement of Pilkington/Triplex) here.
Andrew Bodge
'66 Elan S2 26/4869
RotoFlexible
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: cbxbikenut » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:24 am

Can the windshield be picked up at Plinkington and avoid the shipping costs? I live in Lima and would consider doing that if possible.

Thanks,
Herb
cbxbikenut
New-tral

Next

Total Online: