BW Cates Trimmer

PostPost by: richgilb » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:39 am

Hello All

I asked Andy at Spyder to send my seats for retrimming. I got a letter from BW Cates in Bournemouth, which included 2 different samples of black leather and one has more grain than the other. The grainier one looks thicker. I need to decide which one to trim my car with. Has anyone else had to make this decision with the same trimmer? If so, which leather did you end up with?

Rich
I am now an ex-Elan owner but will drop by from time to time with some suitably inappropriate comments.
richgilb
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:15 am

Have you asked BW Cates about the pros and cons, they probably know more about it than most?
Mike
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: richgilb » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:35 am

Yes, I am waiting for the expected reply of they are just as good as each other, they just come from a different supplier....
I am now an ex-Elan owner but will drop by from time to time with some suitably inappropriate comments.
richgilb
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:20 am

Perhaps you should consider the long term.
I fell for Anthracite Buffalo leather for part of my interior trim.
The other part was a light grey leather with hardly any grain.
The heavier grained leather is difficult to keep looking good & being a matt surface any application of polish or what have you would ruin it.
On the other hand I've used leather cleaner on the light grey bits with little effect but with no alteration to the surface texture.

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: richgilb » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:45 am

Hmm, thanks for that. He has replied saying that the lighter grain is also better for panels...couple that with your issue with keeping the heavier grain looking swish, I guess it is the lighter grain that will be the way forward...this is what he said...note the price includes XJS seats, not standard seats.

BOTH ARE DURABLE HIDES AND IF LOOKED AFTER WILL LAST INDEFINATELY. THAT MEANS REGULAR FEEDING, BUT CERTAINLY NOT IN THE 1ST YEAR AS THERE IS SUFFICIENT NATURAL OIL IN THE HIDE.AND YES THE GRAINIER HIDE IS SLIGHTLY THICKER, THOUGH THE OTHER ONE IS SOFTER AND MORE SUITED TO PANELS, AS IS MORE FLEXIBLE. SO, IF YOU WISH FOR ME TO UNDERTAKE THE REST OF THE INTERIOR, I QUOTE AS BELOW.
FRONT AND REAR SEATS. REAR SEAT ASSEMBLY, NEW DOOR CARDS, NEW REAR QUARTER PANELS. CONSOLE (FRONT AND REAR) ALL IN LEATHER AND RETURNED READY TO FIT TO CAR.................?1700 ALL IN.
richgilb
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:01 am

Brian Cates did my seats in the soft nappa leather with the squab and cushion panels in the grained leather. He also did the tunnel cover in nappa with the top padded piece in grained leather.
Part of his service is a personal collect and return. I will get him to collect the door cards sometime during the winter if I get around to refurbing the electric windows
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: