pre-airflow coupe B piller trim

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:31 pm

Adam was asking about the interior trim that covers the B post. I know there are a lot of these built but not many seem to show up here on Elan.net. 36/5520 is not anywhere near (body number 1289) as early as Adam's Coupe but I think that it was done the same way. I got the Coupe as a disassembled roller so it was a lot of guess work on my part and I don't have any photo's of the finished product (well at least that I can lay my hands on) and I am going on my bad memory so if anyone else has more info please post.
Attachments
P7240050a.jpg and
The headliner was first installed
P7240053a.jpg and
I then made some patterns out of tempered 1/8" masonite, this ended up being way to stiff so I layed up two layers of 1 1/2 oz. chopped strand matt on a waxed piece of plate glass. When cured I traced the paterns and and cut out the pieces out of fiberglass
P7240051a.jpg and
With the headliner installed I moved on to the carpeting. The new carpeting was glued to the side trim board that run from front to rear in the passenger compartment (covers the steel lattice) with a little extra carpeting brought up past the hozizontal block that was bondo'd into position.
P7240048a.jpg and
The next step was to install the vinal covering on the parcil shelf, then the rear window was installed with the fiberglass pieces trimmed out with the headliner material and the back edge tucked under the rear window gasket and finally the new door gasket installed to secure the front edge of the trim panel. That is all that held the B post covers in position. Well I think thats how it went...
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Old English White » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:16 pm

... If needed , I can make some pictures of "OEW" B pillar .
She still has its original white trim material , hooks & lights ... but
Don't ask me to show under these parts . :wink:
Christian.
Old English White
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:56 pm

Hi Christian

Please get some photos and make this topic i bit more complete for future pre-airflow restorations that folks are planing. The Solar Yellow Coupe is 60 miles away at the new owners home.

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Pastapesto » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:37 pm

Yes please Christian, the photos would be a great help as I think my car is close to yours in chassis number (at least I think it is) & I would like to see how they are finished.
Most of the bits on my car were already dismantled a long time before I got it so I'm having to ask many questions & do a bit of guess work in the process of putting it all back together now that I have finally got it back from the bodyshop.

Thanks

Adam
Pastapesto
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Elan45 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:15 pm

My pre-airflow FHC, 36-5526 is pretty close in number to yours. I think you're doing it right, obviously you know about the interior lamps, since I see the purple wires in your photos. The miniature coat hooks are probably there only as a "washer" under the screw heads to help hold the panel in place. You do have them, don't you. They have to be made of unobtainium.
I have always loved the red pre-airflow coupes in red, but your's in yellow is equally stunning.

I'd take photos of my B trim but I think it has been removed while in storage, prior to restoration. I think the only interior in it right now are the seats, just sitting there. I think I can take pics of the coat hooks by themselves, if that would help.

Roger
'67 Elan S3 SS DHC
'67 Elan FHC pre-airflow
'67 Elan S3 SE upgrade to 26R by Original owner
'58 Eleven S2 (ex-works)
'62 20/22 FJ (ex-Yamura)
'70 Elan +2S RHD
'61 20 FJ project
'76 Modus M1 F3
Elan45
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elan45 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:30 pm

Gary, Christian, whoever,

I do have an original NOS vertical panel that goes beneath the parcel tray's leading edge. From back when Lotus East was forced out of business and sold off everything at the cheap. I bought all the weird FHC stuff that I could, using the numbers in the S1-2, Coupe parts book. I can make a tracing if it'll help.

I wish I were going to see you at Lime Rock tomorrow, but the engine in the 20 when BANG at BeaveRun, and I'm home working on the Falcon bodied Sprite to get it ready for Sebring next March. So much to do, so little time.

Roger
'67 Elan S3 SS DHC
'67 Elan FHC pre-airflow
'67 Elan S3 SE upgrade to 26R by Original owner
'58 Eleven S2 (ex-works)
'62 20/22 FJ (ex-Yamura)
'70 Elan +2S RHD
'61 20 FJ project
'76 Modus M1 F3
Elan45
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:18 pm

Hi Roger

Sorry to hear about the 20's engine. Not much Joy in Dave's pits yesterday as the Climax refused to rev above 5k after a half a lap in 3rd or 4th gear so only a warm up lap and the first lap in each practice session. Lots of folks around offering advice but there was no joy at the end of the day. Carl was heading back out early this morning with a known good spares package to do battle again.

Clarks S2 was giving fits starting early but all was sorted by the first practice and the new engine was pulling like a train. Time passes all too quickly when things are going badly.

Oh yea, the B post piller lamps were not installed as I didn't have either lamp, nor the coat hooks so they piller covers were just left bare with the headlining to cover them. Lots of things done by the new owner so maybe he has done something different, I need to get down to see 36/5520 again as the last time I was there Beau went exploring, following some fresh pee sent leaving me no time to really look at it and I needed to get back to pickup my father at the eye doctors.

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Old English White » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:38 pm

Here is a picture of "OEW" B pillar .
As I allready wrote , this car is quite "special" , having many of the future equipment of a SE ...
But , forget about the rollbar & front cage and have a look : the lamp & hook are aligned and the lamp is without on/off switch ... Not the same than on the dash .
Christian.
Old English White
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:02 pm

Hey Gary, say Hi to Clark for me. Pics too, if you can get them.
Thanks!

Greg Z
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: