Number plate surround / Carpet glue ?

PostPost by: TimButDim » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:29 pm

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me if the chrome number plate surround is held on with anything more than pixie dust? Mine looks like it'll fall off the moment I drive through a pothole.

Also I'm sticking new carpet in, can anyone suggest an appropriate glue?

Thanks!

Tim
1971 +2S 130
TimButDim
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Gordon Sauer » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:58 am

For the carpet I'm using those 3M spray adhesives--there is one for jute/carpet. If number plate surround refers to the chrome grill opening surround, mine is fitted with some of those folded over, speed nut kind of things that I fashioned to fit at three places on each half and then used sheet metal stainless screws from the inside of the nose to secure them. To make the U shaped things fit I slightly cut away the lip of the crome strip/bezel in three places (each end and just off center) and slipped in the Uy things. Gordon Sauer
Gordon Sauer
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: TimButDim » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:39 am

Thanks Gordon!

Do you know what Lotus used to keep them on originally? If it was, as I suspect, 'not much' I can understand why they're so sought after these days!!
1971 +2S 130
TimButDim
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Gordon Sauer » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:10 am

I found I had one of the apparently original clips for the front chrome piece--don't know how I'd describe it and I don't think picture will help--it fit perfectly in the opening, has little tangs I think that catch edge of chrome and then accept screw from backside--I'll see if I can find it and maybe measure--perhaps available?, I never looked of them. Gordon Sauer
Gordon Sauer
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: