Re-cabling doors / windows

PostPost by: memnon » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:23 pm

Are there any tips for redoing the elctric window cable mechanism? This is the sort of thing I am not familair with and not actually looking forward to doing. . . Assembly definitely isn't the reverse of Dissassembly!

All new/reconditioned parts waiting to be assembled except cable. If it is at all tricky I'll be subbing it out to Paul Matty!
memnon
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: paddy » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:46 pm

There have been quite a few discussions before - perhaps this is a good starting point:

elan-f14/side-window-cable-fixings-question-t17367.html

Paddy
1963 Elan S1
paddy
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:30 am

I'd recommend doing just one at a time so that you've got the other as a guide.
A second pair of hands when tensioning the cable comes in more than handy.
Make sure that the Nylon pulleys & the Circlips are in good condition, if not replace & make sure the Circlips are firmly seated in their grooves.
Put plenty of Copperslip onto the Motor fixings, they can get very corroded & a sod to remove.
Replacing those screws with Hex. Head or anything other than the Philips head Screws will be an improvement for future possible work because Philips head screws require a bit of axial force to prevent thr driver from slipping.
The window frame is a bit flexible making that difficult to achieve so eventually due to screwdriver slippage the screw head slot becomes useless
Make a note of the position of the door trim self tapping screws. The longer ones, (which a previous owner may have fitted) in the wrong position can cause the window to shatter. Don't ask me how I know :roll:

Not one of my favourite jobs.
Good luck.
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:29 pm

Too right John, I broke 2 windows b4 redoing those flamming awfull glass/cable fastners. The modified ones I made I recon are the answer.

Fiddly job. Can be done by one's self employing a rubber motorcycle type bungie cord thingie. See link above for story.

Alex.. 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanman999 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:30 pm

Make sure you use wire rope and not bowden cable as sold by some of the dealers. The former is more flexible and goes around the pulleys better.
Cheers
John
elanman999
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: