Bonnet stay.

PostPost by: FEDUP » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:41 pm

Hello all.
Could anybody inform me were i could purchase a new telescopic bonnet stay for a 1969 +2s , spoken to Roy at PMS and he informed me that they were no longer available , was this type of bonnet stay used on other 1960s car.Only need to replace bonnet and MOT car and sould finally be finished .
regards Ian.
FEDUP
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: gerrym » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:29 pm

Ian, I purchased a Spitfire Boot stay. Exactly the same length (static and extended), holes etc. Only difference is the catch (self releases when lifted). If you're not happy with that aspect, I'm sure you could modify. I purchased mine in the UK from Winns.

Regards

Gerry

Ian, when I say Boot of course I mean trunk.
gerrym
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: martinbrowning » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:31 pm

Ian,
Have you tried Sue Miller?
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
72 Europa Special, 72 Sprint, 72 Plus 2
martinbrowning
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: FEDUP » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:42 am

Thanks have been trying to get in touch with susan all week no answer , but will try again tomorrow.
The spitfire boot stay might be the answer.
regards Ian.
FEDUP
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: curly type 26 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:23 am

Hi Fedup, i assume you want new as in replacement for old & not that you dont have one? For if you dont have one i know i have one somewhere if it will help. Regards Curly :D
curly type 26
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: FEDUP » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:42 pm

Thanks for the information purchased spitfire boot stay from David Manners today try fitting it tonight.
Ian
FEDUP
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: gerrym » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:43 am

Ian, how did you get on with the Spitfire Boot stay. Are you going to modify the latch to prevent it closing by itself with say a gust of wind moving the bonnet?

Let me know your thoughts

Regards

Gerry
gerrym
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:38 pm

Ian,
keep an eye on Ebay, tragic though it is, people are frequently breaking +2s. They probably don't list the bonnet stay specifically so you may have to ask if the have one for sale.

Mike
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: FEDUP » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:03 pm

Jerry/Mike
Hi plans changed found original bonnet stay in loft so decided to use both original one on passenger side and spitfire self release on drivers side, had to weld additional 6mm nut on bonnet support bracket drill hole in inner wing in the correct position .
I will need to get them bright zinc coated in the furture but that will have to wait, sorting bonnet to cam cover clearence at the moment luckly i elongated the engine monting holes previously so just need to release off and drop engine a extra 3mm hopefully.
Booked in for MOT tomorrow morning last one 4 years ago.
Thanks for the information
Ian
FEDUP
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: