S4 DHC Rear cockpit panel.

PostPost by: Bruce Crowthorne » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:27 am

I just used the "Millboard" for the curved panel, but for speakers I mounted a thin aluminium "firewall" vertically between the strut towers. This now forms a front "wall" for the boot, might help a little if there was a fire in the boot (not much with ten gallons of petrol in there!) and it is a good place to mount speakers.
To ease the muffling I drilled a bunch of holes in the Millboard at the speakers and then just glued the carpet over that.
Bruce
Bruce Crowthorne
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:17 pm

I called into the company that supplied the plastic sheet that I used on my restoration.
They gave me some samples, see Photo & I now know that the material is a hard foam made of PVC.
It's bendy & springy, technical jargon that :roll:
The stuff's called FOREX classic (registered trademark) here but it should be fairly widely available.
The thicknesses shown in the Photo are (rounded up) :-
1; 2; 3; 4; 5; 10 & 18,6 mm
I've got no facts on the actual density; best I can say is "it's light"

The texture & structure of the material may be visible in the picture on the thicker samples.
It's a shame that there's no "feelavision" but I would consider the 2mm or possibly 3mm sheet to be the most suitable for purpose.
The thickness could be doubled up locally for loudspeaker mounting etc.

Cheers
John
Attachments
DSCN0821.JPG and
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: fatboyoz » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:32 pm

Thanks Everyone,
Went to a plastics shop as per Dave and John, and ended up using 2mm clear polycarbonate. This is the same material used in modern headlight covers and is very strong. It is easily trimmed, with a Stanley knife or metal shears, and readily bends to the required shape. The shop cut it to the correct shape using the old panel as a template and also cut out all of the holes for a very reasonable price. Think they were quite happy to get rid of an off-cut. Now to carpet it and that will just about finish the interior.
Regards,
Colin.
'68 S4 DHC
fatboyoz
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:06 am

Great,
job done then :wink:
Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: