What goes on the windshield header?

PostPost by: elanern » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:35 pm

I'm finally getting around to the cosmetic details of 0013K, my 1970 Federal S4 DHC. I'm ready to begin windshield installation (recent posts have been helpful) and have a couple of questions.

1). Do I understand correctly that the windscreen pillar trim goes on before the windshield weatherstrip?

2). What covering (if any) goes on the windscreen header between the windscreen weatherstrip and the top of the header? I suspect vinyl upholstery material, but am not sure (possibly 500B0268 from the parts manual??). If so, does the windscreen weatherstrip go over it? How about the door weatherstrip? Does the vinyl go under the riveted aluminum retaining strip? Pictures would be helpful.

3). With regards to the retaining strip, does the screw that holds the upper tension rod bracket go through the strip or does the strip go over the screw? Currently the strip has a hole in the center, and it appears the screw has gone through it in the past.

4). Buckland mentions the use of Sikaflex-521 UV for use in sealing the door gutters. I've looked for it here in the states but have only found the white version. What is a suitable substitute (in black, of course)?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Ernie
Florida, USA
elanern
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:14 pm

elanern wrote:I'm finally getting around to the cosmetic details of 0013K, my 1970 Federal S4 DHC. I'm ready to begin windshield installation (recent posts have been helpful) and have a couple of questions.

1). Do I understand correctly that the windscreen pillar trim goes on before the windshield weatherstrip?

2). What covering (if any) goes on the windscreen header between the windscreen weatherstrip and the top of the header? I suspect vinyl upholstery material, but am not sure (possibly 500B0268 from the parts manual??). If so, does the windscreen weatherstrip go over it? How about the door weatherstrip? Does the vinyl go under the riveted aluminum retaining strip? Pictures would be helpful.

3). With regards to the retaining strip, does the screw that holds the upper tension rod bracket go through the strip or does the strip go over the screw? Currently the strip has a hole in the center, and it appears the screw has gone through it in the past.

4). Buckland mentions the use of Sikaflex-521 UV for use in sealing the door gutters. I've looked for it here in the states but have only found the white version. What is a suitable substitute (in black, of course)?

Thanks in advance for the help!

1). They can also be fitted later, using some tool to prise the rubber enough to insert the trims.
(I had my work cut out just fitting the screen, let alone trying to hold trims im place but have to admit that I didn't even think
about the trims at the time :oops:)

2). Yes yinyl but there's some plastic foam material as padding under it.

3). It's a Spoke nipple & it goes through the soft top retaining strip. The hole in that strip permits access to later it for
tensioning.

4). I don't know but I used that sealant strip that is used for sealing replacement wings (Fenders)

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:33 pm

Ernie,

#3 ? Page 254 in the Buckland book shows the bracket, rod and nut for the windscreen tension rod. When I bought my car it did not have a bracket, just a washer and domed nut. I obtained a bracket at Donnington/Stoneleigh from one of the usual suspects.

#4 ? Sikaflex was used to seal door skins on prototype vehicles, and I only ever saw it in black.
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:53 pm

First of all I am not disagreeing with statements so far.

Here is what I did. I installed the pillar trims. I glued them to the vertical pillar frames Left and right. I then applied a strip of black Vynil trim to the top edge of the windsheild frame. I also glued this in. I then placed a new screen rubber seal into place and fitted the screen.

You then need to finish off the top trim.

Go to B&Q and buy some foam pipe insulation. (round foam rubber with split along it's length). Cut them in half long ways then cut them to length. 'D' shaped foam rubber!! 1 right 1 left and shape them to fit around the tension rod and at the screen pillar by the top of the door. Glue tack them into place. You can deflect the pillar trim enough to get the vynil behind it neatly. You then need to apply glue (evilstick) to the entire top screen support pillar and to the vynil trim. Pull/tension the trim along its full length and wrap it over the 'd' shaped foam rubber & around the screen pillar along its full length. You should now have covered the half round foam rubber along the top of the screen. I disconnected the screen tie rod bracket and mounted it on top of the vynil. Neat!.

You then need to fit the rubber door seal all the way from the door edge up round the front of the door and up across the screen pillar. It continues in one pc. down around the other door all the way to the back edge of the door. This is tricky but straight forward. Self explanitory really.

If you are stuck I can do you some pic's. Its quite straightforward. I know for a fact it is a bu***r to fit the screen trims in behind the screen rubber when its fitted.

So my way was..Fit screen vertical r & l trims. The plastic parts. Fit (glue on) the vynil strip about 6'' wide (cut off the excess later) wrap it round /overlap the screen pillar all the way along. THEN.. Fit the rubber seal. Then the glass. Then the 'd' shaped foam parts either side of the tie rod.

Finish as above. The car had a 'd' shaped rubber behind the vynil trim from the factory.

I hope this is clearer than mud and is of some help. If you need to PM me with your tel no and I will call you to explain further.

Alex B.... 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: SADLOTUS » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:33 pm

this is what I did - pretty much as above...with piccies YAY!!... well... for what they're worth

elan-f14/elan-windshield-trim-t15112.html?hilit=%20hood%20rail
SADLOTUS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: fatboyoz » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:16 am

Alex,
Any chance of some photo's of the finished header rail? If so, could you also include one of the join between the pillar trims and the vinyl? I presume, that the top end of the pillar trim ends up covering the vinyl. Correct?
I am ready to do mine as well if I can just remove, what I believe to be, the dried on release agent from the new 'screen rubber.
Thanks,
Colin.

alexblack13 wrote:First of all I am not disagreeing with statements so far.

Here is what I did. I installed the pillar trims. I glued them to the vertical pillar frames Left and right. I then applied a strip of black Vynil trim to the top edge of the windsheild frame. I also glued this in. I then placed a new screen rubber seal into place and fitted the screen.

Go to B&Q and buy some foam pipe insulation. (round foam rubber with split along it's length). Cut them in half long ways then cut them to length. 'D' shaped foam rubber!! 1 right 1 left and shape them to fit around the tension rod and at the screen pillar by the top of the door. Glue tack them into place. You can deflect the pillar trim enough to get the vynil behind it neatly. You then need to apply glue (evilstick) to the entire top screen support pillar and to the vynil trim. Pull/tension the trim along its full length and wrap it over the 'd' shaped foam rubber & around the screen pillar along its full length. You should now have covered the half round foam rubber along the top of the screen. I disconnected the screen tie rod bracket and mounted it on top of the vynil. Neat!.

You then need to fit the rubber door seal all the way from the door edge up round the front of the door and up across the screen pillar. It continues in one pc. down around the other door all the way to the back edge of the door. This is tricky but straight forward. Self explanitory really.

If you are stuck I can do you some pic's. Its quite straightforward. I know for a fact it is a bu***r to fit the screen trims in behind the screen rubber when its fitted.

So my way was..Fit screen vertical r & l trims. The plastic parts. Fit (glue on) the vynil strip about 6'' wide (cut off the excess later) wrap it round /overlap the screen pillar all the way along. THEN.. Fit the rubber seal. Then the glass. Then the 'd' shaped foam parts either side of the tie rod.

Finish as above. The car had a 'd' shaped rubber behind the vynil trim from the factory.

I hope this is clearer than mud and is of some help. If you need to PM me with your tel no and I will call you to explain further.

Alex B.... 8)
'68 S4 DHC
fatboyoz
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:30 am

alexblack13 wrote:First of all I am not disagreeing with statements so far.

Alex B.... 8)

Hi Alex,

the foam pipe insulation is a great idea.
When I did my car the old foam was very crumbly so I left well alone.
However I now have a length of "correct" door seal so will be in a position to access that old foam once more when I fit it.
Now comes the question.
I think that pipe insulating foam comes in some different sizes.
Can you tell me what size youu used please?

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: SADLOTUS » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:48 am

you're only going to need a quarter of it, I'm guessing it's about 4inch diameter and - er ahem, I bought a couple of metres to be on the safe side.
Attachments
Untitled-1.jpg and
SADLOTUS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:11 pm

Hi John/All,

Trust you are all well and enjoying some good Lotisisation. (New word!)... :lol:

The foam pipe insulation I used (perfect fit) came from B&Q and is approx 40mm dia and has a 15 - 16mm bore.Its half split(I.E. Not all the way through along its entire meter or so length.

Here are a pic or two of how it looks. I am very happy with the result.

Alex B....
Attachments
ernies pics 003 [].JPG and
shows nice neat profile.Trim is firmly located below the screen rubber and the seal on the other side. Produces nice almost half round profile. I think.
ernies pics 002 [].JPG and
Top right.. slightly diff' angle
ernies pics 001 [].JPG and
top right with visor rod & visor.
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:59 pm

Yes that looks a very neat job.
I notice that you were also lucky enough to source the correct door seal.
I eventually got mine from Sue Miller (The sole source, I believe) but when I did the rebuild her ol' man Mick wouldn't sell the stuff, hoarding it for only his rebuilds.
I've made a note of the insulation dimensions & will source some from our equivalent of B&Q.

Thanks for the help
Beware of the Illuminati

GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:01 pm

Hi John.

Yep my seal came from Susan also. I got on brilliantly well with her.Told her I was doing a complete job etc,gave her my details and haggled a little % discount. Lift the phone, place order, part arrived. Very hassle free.

Can't recommend her highly enough. She is great! I met her down at Donnington. Good to put the person to the voice.

Alex B.... 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: saildrive2001 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:30 pm

Typical Lotus, they must have been out of foam when my car was trimmed, there was none on my car.
Keith Marshall
69 S4 SE DHC RHD Original owner
saildrive2001
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: snowyelan » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:13 pm

Nor mine Keith, it was just pulled tight between the windshield rubber and door seal. I also don't have visors...
Scott
45/9011
Hawkestone, On, Ca
snowyelan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: saildrive2001 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:31 pm

Mine came without visors also but I put an aftermarket one on the drivers side when I first got the car. No exterior mirrors on the car either & I still haven't any on. I tried one that clips around the door frame but don't really like it.
Keith Marshall
69 S4 SE DHC RHD Original owner
saildrive2001
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: holywood3645 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:23 pm

No foam in mine either when I restored, but do have sun visors.
James
holywood3645
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: