Carpet Sets

PostPost by: 72elan1304 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:14 pm

The carpet in my car has been replaced by a PO with some blue household carpet. Now is the time to put this right and I have been in touch with the chap on Ebay who lists them. 150 pounds for the full set including the boot delivered.

Ebay 150349623885

Does anyone have any experience of this seller? Or any other recommendations?
72elan1304
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:40 pm

No experience of this guy, but you know the old saying...you get what you pay for. I bought a 'bargain' carpet set for an XJS from a guy on eBay a couple of years ago. Described as looking like factory original....it was in the bin the same day it arrived.
Sue Miller does a replacement set in a very good quality carpet.
Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 72elan1304 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:26 pm

The seller in question claims to supply the carpet sets to Spyder.
72elan1304
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Carlos A » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:29 am

I got a set from this vendor 6 or 7 months ago.

1. The quality of material is very good. Only problem: carpet back is impermeable so if you get some water in the car you need to remove the floor pieces to dry the padding.

2. Set does not include padding and you will need it.

3. The fitment is good. You need to trim and cut here and there. I spent 5 hours installing it. Of course I never had done this before.

In sum I think that this is a very good product at a reasonable price.

Best

Carlos
http://yourgarage.nbc.com/cars/Lotus1970?vehicleID=112804

BUY GAS WITHOUT ETHANOL: http://www.pure-gas.org/
Carlos A
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 72elan1304 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:01 am

What did you use for padding and where did you fix it? Any pics?

I was hoping that I could do this job comfortably in a day. I have a fear of starting one of the many little jobs on the car that need doing only to hit problems and have the car off the road for weeks.
72elan1304
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: richgilb » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:08 am

I need a set of carpets as well and cannot find my Mick Miller catalog to compare against this seemingly very reasonably priced ebay set. Does the Miller one have padding all cut to size and how much is the Miller set?

Cheers,
Richard
I am now an ex-Elan owner but will drop by from time to time with some suitably inappropriate comments.
richgilb
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Carlos A » Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:43 am

Some car stores sell padding rolls. You can get them also in an upholstery store. I used the pieces of the carpet set as patterns. I paid 35 dollars and use yellow glue (spray).

Important note: no padding under the back seats! (don?t ask me how I know this)

Carlos A
http://yourgarage.nbc.com/cars/Lotus1970?vehicleID=112804

BUY GAS WITHOUT ETHANOL: http://www.pure-gas.org/
Carlos A
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rong » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:23 pm

As an alternative to ebay, I obtained my carpet set from Coverdale (UK) Ltd, there was no boot carpet supplied but they did supply the carpet trim for the lower part of the doors.
They can supply different grade carpets and backings.
I was very happy with their carpet although when it arrived I niaively thought I would just have to place it in position! However they do give a generous extra allowance that has to be trimmed to fit.

Rong
50/0775
rong
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:40 am

I got the soundproofing padding sets for my Plus 2 from Susan Miller. I believe the cost was around GBP 70 for the interior and GBP 32 for the boot area. All pieces cut to size. They are pretty heavy, so shipping and handling can add quite a bit; two large boxes to hold them all. Took a while to prepare and supply. She also offered to just supply rolls of the material that one can cut, but some of my pieces were it pretty shabby shape to use as a template, so I went pre-cut. Have not installed yet, but looks pretty straight forward and reasonably cut to fit.

I had already got carpet elsewhere, but it retrospect I think I would have been happier with what she could supply. The set I got from eBay will be OK, but is definitely not original looking in texture.
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: richgilb » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:52 am

Just bought a set off ebay in black, so will let you know - 10 days to deliver, though.

Rich
I am now an ex-Elan owner but will drop by from time to time with some suitably inappropriate comments.
richgilb
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: richgilb » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:00 am

Just got these carpets and the material does appear to be exactly the same as the material used in Spyder's carpets.....hopefully it will also be the same cut!
richgilb
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:28 pm

I have had a set of these in my +2 for over a year now and yes it's the same guy who supplies Spyder. He also does complete leather re-trims and will collect your full interior (UK only) and deliver it back, cost is ?1200 - ?1500 which is very reasonable considering that it includes new seat foam and webbing, door cards, parcel shelf, crash pad, centre console, under dash trims, the lot. I have a light tan leather with blue piping and perforated leather on the seats and squabs with dark blue carpet to finish it all off.

I am really pleased with the quality of the carpets and leather.

You can buy from this guy with confidence and there was no VAT to pay which is why I bought direct rather than through Spyder.

Regards

Alan

int-02.jpg and
int-01.jpg and
int-03.jpg and
int-04.jpg and
int-05.jpg and
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: r.agnew » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:36 pm

Why do I keep thinking of Marge Simpson when I look at those photos ?? Doh !!! :lol:

Rob
'71 Sprint
r.agnew
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:35 am

r.agnew wrote:Why do I keep thinking of Marge Simpson when I look at those photos ?? Doh !!! :lol:

Rob
'71 Sprint

Perhaps because you lack imagination, or have an originality fetish? :lol:

Alan
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:57 am

r.agnew wrote:Why do I keep thinking of Marge Simpson when I look at those photos ?? Doh !!! :lol:

Rob
'71 Sprint

Oops! Sorry Rob, ref my earlier reply I didn't mean to be rude, just had to be up early and had a few wines last night :? . I should have explained that the photos were taken under artificial light in Spyders vast and dimly lit workshop which makes the colour of the leather look a very sickly yellow when in fact they are quite a nice shade (imho) of light tan which goes surprisingly well with dark blue carpets and blue paint.

Whatever anyone thinks of the colour scheme it doesn't affect the good quality of the carpets and leather.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: