Waist trim, "buttons", door, window seal

PostPost by: kcrossle » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:49 pm

There have been a few posts on this topic but they don't quite answer my question (in fact there seem to be multiple answers due to variations in peoples' cars).

The drawing shows a cross-section of the door. Paul Matty supplied new "button" rivets and seals. I'm guessing that the rivet goes on as shown and the trim clips on. But what about the seal? It has holes that line up with the rivet holes ... but the rivet doesn't seem nearly long enough to go though both the body and the rubberseal. (Yes, there is a build up of new primer & paint but it can't be enough to make that much difference).

Experience / knowledge please!

Thanks

Keith
Attachments
Door window seal_cr.jpg and
kcrossle
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elanman999 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:08 am

Keith,
There is a strip of thin metal that's part of the window frame between the glass and the rubber seal. I used a clip nut over this with a self tapper to hold the whole lot together. You might have to grind the screw to the correct length to stop it touching the glass.
Cheers
John
elanman999
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: davidj » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:06 pm

Yes, as John says, you need to knock out the rivets from the discs and use short self tappers. I found replacing the chrome trim the most difficult job of the whole restoration!

Have fun,

David
davidj
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: kcrossle » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:14 am

Thanks to you both - I think we have it. John's answer puzzled me a while which drove some more research that David just confirmed. I talked to Andy at Spyder who clarified it for me - the supplied clip / rivet is an MG item and is too short. As you say, make it not a rivet anymore and screw it in.

Easier than drilling it out - put it in a socket and give it a tap with a hammer. Remember that for next time :-)

Will update later as we progress. Thanks!

Keith
kcrossle
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: