Interior Trim Fittings- Lotus Elan S3 1968

PostPost by: nico506 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:31 pm

Hi All,

I am having some difficulties fitting the following parts and would be grateful of others thoughts and experiences:

The fitting of Screen pillar trims
I have purchased the new ABS trims from PM and onder if these can be fiited without removing the screen as the rubber around the screen is very tough grrrrrrrrrr :x

[b]The fitting of trim along windscreen header I understand the interior trim that runs along the inside of the front screen is usually rigid foam trimmed with vynyl trim and held in place again by the windscreen ruuber and edge trim.

Any one any ideas how this is finsihed off given that the parts are no longer available..

Thanks for help and tips in advance.

Regards

Nico ( Nick )
nico506
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elanman999 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:12 pm

Nick,
When I fitted my new screen pillar trims I took the screen out. Removing the screen is not that difficult you just need two people. One to push one to catch! The trims are then easy to fit.
Best of luck
John
elanman999
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gino1 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:47 pm

Hi Nico,
Have you tried a heat gun just where you need to make it supple enough to slide the trim underneath?
Gino
gino1
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:06 pm

Nick,

For the top of the screen Susan Miller supplied me with a rigid foam section of the appropriate size (actually plumbers pipe insulation I think). This is glued into position and then the vinyl is fitted over it and glued onto the edges of the fiberglass. Although you should be able to fit the side trims with the screen in situ you will not be able to fit the foam and glue the vinyl on with the screen fitted - not a neat and permanent job anyway.

It sounds a bit odd to use a section of plumbers insulation but the end result looks smart and original on my car.
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:51 pm

Hi all,
just in the middle off this job at the mo' As all the others have advised you will be quicker and much better to remove the screen. Then go down to your local b&q and buy some pipe insulation foam rubber tubing type stuff I think for 3/4'' dia pipe. Off then to your local upholsterer and buy 6'' wide strip of black(?) trim stuff. he will prob' show you various samples.With the screen out glue the trim stuff (vynil ??)
onto the ''lip''that the screen fits round. Then fit your pillar trims.I glued mine into position. Screen rubber is next. Then refit your screen.its then a simple job of fitting into place the foam half round (Cut the foam insulation in half) into position and stretch and glue the trim into position around the door/seal trim ''lip'' along the windscreen/hood support. Then fit the door seal along the top to finish off.

E mail me if you need a bit of the black yinyl. I have a lump spare.

[email protected]
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:46 am

elanman999 wrote:Nick,
When I fitted my new screen pillar trims I took the screen out. Removing the screen is not that difficult you just need two people. One to push one to catch! The trims are then easy to fit.
Best of luck
John

Provided that you remember to take out the 'silvery' insert from the rubber surround of course!!
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: