Electric windows problem (no more - HURRAH!!)

PostPost by: SADLOTUS » Thu May 01, 2008 11:09 am

I had most of a long post all written out about the window motors working differently on each side, same wiring but different results. Really had me baffled.
Went back out to the garage to check my story, gave the switch a squeeze (mmm).. just to, well don't know really, to stretch the wiring a bit looking for a short, or to see if the switch wasn't contacting properly. HEY! test light worked - but only for the up operation. Evetually got the switch out, took it apart and cleaned the contacts - pretty gummed up inside... WOW! Beaut! Now works a treat!

You forget how much dust and rubbish is flying around a workshop with fibreglass work, and it gets everywhere.

So, if you've got a switch/wiring problem try giving it a little squeeze - they love it..

PS What is the black earth wire for?
SADLOTUS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Thu May 01, 2008 6:36 pm

My Light Switch has a similar problem.

Needs flicking up & down a couple of times before the lights come on.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Thu May 01, 2008 8:31 pm

I rewired mine with relays for the sole purpose of protecting the old switches.

The switches only have to fire the relays now to give full power to the motors.

A very simple mod that I thought was worthwhile.
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: reb53 » Fri May 02, 2008 6:17 am

"So, if you've got a problem try giving it a little squeeze - they love it.. "

It's always worked for me.
Nice to know it works on cars as well..... :D

Ralph.
reb53
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: SADLOTUS » Fri May 02, 2008 7:57 am

Brian,

Did you use the 'modified S4 wiring diagram' in the tech tips section or just work it out yourself? I like the idea of using relays but it's the extra wires through the door buffer that makes me hesitate, along with sooner or later I'll have to put in a much larger fusebox...

...that and a thousand other jobs.
SADLOTUS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Fri May 02, 2008 12:16 pm

I did this as part of rewiring some of the cabling when I replaced the dash panel. Knowing how ?delicate? the old switches could be I simply added relays to all the inductive load circuits that did not already have relays as standard. e.g. wipers, heater and widows.

For the window motors I used two single pole relays each side with 14 gauge (ref 25) thin walled cable in the correct colours from http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/V ... inwall.php

The relays are mounted under the dash adjacent to the door check tube with only two feed cables and an earth cable going through.
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Fri May 02, 2008 6:05 pm

SADLOTUS wrote:...it's the extra wires through the door buffer that makes me hesitate, along with sooner or later I'll have to put in a much larger fusebox...

I added 4 relays for the windows but that didn't increase the number of wires going to the door. Only the size of the wires was increased. I did add speakers and they called for an extra pair of wires.

The door buffers are nothing but thick walled pieces of pipe. I removed them and added lightness by drilling them out.

If you are still using the original 2 slot Lucas fuse box, eventually you may want to consider an upgrade to a larger and much safer fusebox. In my 16 slot box, two 15 amp fuses are dedicated to the windows.
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: