door latch +2

PostPost by: rdssdi » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:45 pm

Quite some time ago I purchased two new door latches for my Elan +2. Apparently they are no longer available and I received the last two in stock. They appeared identical to the original latches and they fit fin on the door. As I am now finishing the doors I am installing the door rods and have found the inside door handle will not operate the latch to open the door. The outside handle works well. Instead of "pulling" the lever on the latch to unlatch and open the door the actuating rod bends. It appears that the spring tension on the latch lever is stronger than the door rod can overcome. I have the original latches and they do not have any spring loading on this lever. Looks as if I will have to use the old latches.

The latches were made by Weston Hardware in the UK. They are called "disc" latches. They have disc latch that have what appears to be identical bodies but the internal bits are different.

Does anyone know if this company will make these latches or if proper new latches are available?

http://www.wbh.co.uk/images/pdf_d/d20.pdf

Link to Weston Hardware catalog page for disc latch.

Bob
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: davidj » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:48 pm

Weston Body Hardware made all the locks, handles, interior and external and all the other body odds and sods on your Lotus and also for Triumph, Austin, Morris, MG etc. They are still in business but the p and p is very expensive for small orders.

It is quite likely there were different versions for differents cars which look the same. However, I am sure there are plenty on NOS around on ebay if you cannot make yours work. I have just fitted new interior handles which are the same as MGB/austin 1100/1300/Maxi/Marina but with the brackets removed!

Looks like I am just ahead of you with my restoration. Have you fitted the window seal yet?

David
davidj
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rdssdi » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:31 am

Disc latches are currently available at Weston but not for the +2. I believe the +2 latch was also used on the baby Elan.

I have to finish the latches and install the new door panels and front and rear glass. The car is at the upholstery shop now. I am working on the latches there. When done the panels will go on. I have a completely new interior including lights, rear view mirror, seat belts etc.. A few other items such as badging and front grill and the car is done with the exception of alignment etc.

Bob
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: