Ashtray positions on early series 1 Elans

PostPost by: 440HUU » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:12 am

Hi everyone

Having owned a series 1 in 1973, a car which I think is now sadly non existent, I have recently become involved once again in these early cars. I need, please, information with hard evidence in support, where possible please, on the position of the ashtrays in cars of 1963/4 vintage

A friend's Elan, unit 3088, has the ashtray in the tunnel top but the car no longer has its original door trim so I am unable to establish whether it would originally have had ashtrays in the door arm rests as well, like the later cars did.

My September 1963 Elan, unit 3186, has the same tunnel as unit no 3088, ie with ashtray aperture, but no ashtray. Instead they are fitted into the left hand and right hand door trims. Does anyone else have a car like this?

Soon after unit 3186, we know that Elans began to use the same tunnel top shape albeit in grey ABS - that was to remain the same shape (changing to black ABS - does anyone know when?) until end of production with no ashtray provision at all. The earliest car known to me to use the later shape tunnel top is unit 3234. Does anyone out there have an earlier example?

Would welcome contributions on this point please

440 HUU
Unit #26/3186
440HUU
New-tral

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:04 pm

I really like these discussions around when Lotus changed features in the cars over the years.

We really need a list on the website somewhere of the final conclusions to these threads (as best can be determined) so people can find it easily in the future. The change points this forum determines have got to be the best authority that exists.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bill » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:32 pm

Hi all - hope this helps. Info on my Elan

'63 S1 - 26/0538 - ashtrays in doors, dark grey tunnel cover, cream door panel inserts.

'65 S2 - 26/4614 - ashtrays in doors, black tunnel cover, black door panel inserts.

The interiors of both of these cars are other wise all black with the exception of the floor mats and other interior (nubbly) panel covering in dark grey which I understand that Colin scoursed from the skins of unborn alligators (its lighter).

Bill
Bill
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 440HUU » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:38 pm

Hi Bill

Thanks very much for your response. Does your series one have any cut out behind the gearlever for a rectangular ashtray or is the ashtray layout identical on both cars?

Thanks also for the info on the door panels particularly on the series one car. Do you believe them to be original?

In which country are you located, by the way?

Regards

Charles
440HUU
New-tral

PostPost by: cabc26b » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:31 pm

The three or so series ones I have run across have all had the ash trays in the doors - If you have the original door trim there is a channel the outside arm rest, this is made out of metal and has a cut out in it to recieve the ashtray - a couple of pictures -neither show the proper covering -
Attachments
800's door .JPG and
west coast, no rust
700's door.JPG and
eastcoast rust .....
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Bill » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:18 pm

Charles

There is no provision for a tunnel ashtray in either of my cars.

The S1 door panels are the origional, they still have the award dash plaques from my competieion wins with the car in the 60's - 70's (hillclimbing mainly).

I purchased the car direct from the factory in late 63, no dealers in North America at that time. It was shipped by ship to Vancouver B.C. - western Canada and I received in March 64. I understand it to be the first Elan sold to North America.

I live on Vancouver Island. Inever parted with the car 'cause I couldn't find another better, I restored it to origional in 96 - 97 and it is currently in the body suop for a flat out and respray after a minor shunt, it was due for a refinish anyway.

If you need any other info i have the origional S1 manuals (shop and parts).

Reach me at <[email protected]>

Bill
Bill
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:13 pm

Bill, there can't be many original owner Elans left, especially early S1. I'm sure we'd all love to see some photos of the car, in its day and now. Well done for keeping the old girl ! (the car that is).

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:25 am

... not many original Elan owners left.... Mark, you're right!

.....last year sold new was 1974, (ok, '75) gotta be 16 years old to drive? IF, big IF, GIGANTIC IF, you bought one new when you were 18 ! today you'd be a minimum of 52 years old. (Add ten for S1.)

Bill, I bought my first Elan in 1972 and have also found no better sports car.

How many other original owners do we have out there?

Eric
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bill » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:41 pm

Gents

I was 23 years old when Jimmy Clark won the first F1 championship for Lotus so I purchased the car (now approaching my 68th birthday) ,I was an entrepaneurial electrical contractor making a $$$, the car cost about 1400 pnds ($4300.00 at the time - an AH 3000 cost about $3500 at the time). I maintained it thru its life, did a ground off restro in 96 / 97.

It is currently in a restro shop for a body flat out and respray to correct the last 11 years of bleeding / sagging / weeping and wear and tear.

When I get it back together I will post photos.

Keep your stick on the ice!

Bill
Bill
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: JKING » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:33 am

Well, I am only one away from being the original owner of my S1 # 260146. The original owner was an English subject who imported it to the USA while attending Stanford University. He only kept it for about 4 months and put about 6000 miles on it, a lot of them sideways. Talk about stress cracks! I, now an octegnarian, have owned it since purchasing it from him in March of 1964 and have just finished a ground up rebuild. It's going through a nice gentle running in period now. Can't wait to turn up the wick. And it does have cut-outs for the ash trays in the door trim forward of the door handles. I still have them in a box, though they are quite rusty. There is no ash tray cut-out in the grey tunnel housing.
Last edited by JKING on Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John
63 Elan 260146
JKING
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: JKING » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:34 am

Got that wrong. My car is # 260146.
I edited the original but can't find the "delete" button for this one.
Last edited by JKING on Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John
63 Elan 260146
JKING
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:12 am

Hello,
I've got 260520, titled as a '64.... Ash trays as you all described and no slot on the black tunnel.
Unit numbers and serial numbers??? What order?
Were kit cars numbered out of sequence?
Has anyone heard of Rallye Ralph Crawford in Cincinnati? He had the first Elan in USA? BRG, I've got home movies of it in a gymkhana in a grocery store parking lot.

Eric

I love Rohan's idea about sequencing changes. ...elan.net and a few current comprehensive books will still be the grail a hundred years from now.
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Emma-Knight » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:50 pm

My car lives together with an S3 that has an original S1 tunnel top fitted.
The tunnel top has a little moulded chamber that accepts the ashtray - no cut out! I could post a photo next week. Without ashtray its a nice little storage box.
Fitting door ashtrays as well (so three alltogether ) wouldnt be the chapman way would it? (me thinks)
Anna :roll:
1965 S2
Emma-Knight
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: kenb » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:52 am

My 63/64 S1 unit 3822 has ashtray in the door trim,at least in the Right side door.LH (Driver side trim is lost.
KenB
canada
440HUU wrote:Hi everyone

Having owned a series 1 in 1973, a car which I think is now sadly non existent, I have recently become involved once again in these early cars. I need, please, information with hard evidence in support, where possible please, on the position of the ashtrays in cars of 1963/4 vintage

A friend's Elan, unit 3088, has the ashtray in the tunnel top but the car no longer has its original door trim so I am unable to establish whether it would originally have had ashtrays in the door arm rests as well, like the later cars did.

My September 1963 Elan, unit 3186, has the same tunnel as unit no 3088, ie with ashtray aperture, but no ashtray. Instead they are fitted into the left hand and right hand door trims. Does anyone else have a car like this?

Soon after unit 3186, we know that Elans began to use the same tunnel top shape albeit in grey ABS - that was to remain the same shape (changing to black ABS - does anyone know when?) until end of production with no ashtray provision at all. The earliest car known to me to use the later shape tunnel top is unit 3234. Does anyone out there have an earlier example?

Would welcome contributions on this point please

440 HUU
Unit #26/3186
kenb
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: 440HUU » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:58 pm

Emma-Knight wrote:My car lives together with an S3 that has an original S1 tunnel top fitted.
The tunnel top has a little moulded chamber that accepts the ashtray - no cut out! I could post a photo next week. Without ashtray its a nice little storage box.
Fitting door ashtrays as well (so three alltogether ) wouldnt be the chapman way would it? (me thinks)
Anna :roll:

Anna

If you could post a photo of the transmission tunnel that would be great

Thanks

Charles
440HUU
New-tral

Next

Total Online: