Plus 2 Boot (Trunk) Assembly

PostPost by: kcrossle » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:57 am

(continuing sad tales of someone rebuilding what he didn't take apart)

The shop manual, and a very extended search of posts to lotuselan.net, give me next to no info on how the various bits in the trunk should be assembled. There's a long square-tube bit; a couple of bracket things; a variety of bits and bolts. Plus there used to be, I'm sure, a piece that housed the latch (I have the latch, can't find the rest).

I hate to waste a plea to the group on this but I just cannot see where and how it all fits. Pictures, diagrams, wordy explanations, arms waving in air (well, perhaps not that) would be most appreciated.

(be ready - next, the hood / bonnet. Then (drumroll of doom) the wiring harness!!)

Thanks
kcrossle
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rjaxe » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:44 am

Keith, post some pics of the parts you are refering too, I will see if I can locate them on my +2 S130 and if so I will send you as much installation detail as I can.
Richard
rjaxe
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ppnelan » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:24 am

I find the Spare Parts List can be helpful in these situations. :)

:arrow: Matthew
ppnelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:25 am

Keith,
A good question, the parts list doesn't cover the boot (trunk) fittings, I suspect that Lotus made a few changes here from time to time so pictures from someone with a complete car would be useful for me too - I'll be assembling a colletion of bits that someone else took apart and the boot area has acquired a lot of alternative mounting holes over the years!

Thanks
Mike
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ppnelan » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:35 am

mikealdren wrote:...the parts list doesn't cover the boot (trunk) fittings...

Well, mine does :!: :D

Section BE (diagram B23) shows everything in the boot and the early lock mechanism, and section BEF (diagram B24) shows the later remote-operated boot lock mechanism.

'Seek & ye shall find...' :wink:

:arrow: Matthew
Last edited by ppnelan on Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
ppnelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:52 am

Sorry guys, not precise enough. The area it's missing is the various brackets below the floor. I seem to have a few bits and bobs of angle iron that could fit in a variety of ways!
regards
Mike
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:36 am

I think that this is the ?set? of brackets for the boot:

2 big brackets. The first goes along the rear of the boot lip and provided strengthening to the boot aperture and the location for the lock receiver. It is held in place with pop rivets along the length of the boot surround lip, and down the sides. Offer it up and you?ll see the holes! Note this is a later cable release bracket. If you want detail of this bracket, or the earlier external handle bracket, I?ll get the pictures.
The second goes on the opposite side of the ?length? of the boot. The photo shows it sitting in the boot the right way round?it just needs to go up a foot or so. The odd bit sticking out is to take the boot support ?wire? thingee, and the boot light micro-switch. The bracket slopes down at each end, and fastens to the fibreglass rear suspension towers with 2 bolts on either side. It also fastens to one of the boot hinge studs on the right side, to provide security between the boot, the bracket and the boot support hinge. Again, offer it up and you should see the appropriate holes.

The rest are boot board support brackets?pretty self explanatory in the pictures. Note that the petrol tank bracket has two support brackets which are used to fasten the rear vertical carpeted trim piece.

What model is the car? I?ve drawn up a ?physical? wiring map for the late S130, and I?m going to have to do the same for a very early (1967) car, so may be able to help with the wiring. Is yours a pre-S, an S or a S130?

Have fun!
Mark
Attachments
z main front & rear brackets.jpg and
z rear bracket attachment.jpg and
z main boot board support.jpg and
z front boot supports.jpg and
z left side board supports.jpg and
z right side boot supports.jpg and
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:31 pm

Another large bracket at the back of the car. It's not in the boot, but at the rear of the passenger compartment, and supports the rear seats and rear shelf. It bolts to the rear upright towers at the chassis bobbins, and also has an earth strap for the aeriel / maybe the fuel tank sender unit.
Mark
Attachments
z rear seat and shelf support.jpg and
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:11 pm

Mark,
that's just the job thanks. I recognise the main pieces and I'll have a look in the box at the weekend for the smaller brackets.

I'm building a Zetec so I will have to make my own wiring harness, a standard '130' design would be useful for the non-engine specific areas. While it's cold and wintry, I'll be spending less time in the garage and more time designing details.

The dash layout will probably end up being slightly customised, for example I don't need a choke and the fuse box will be elsewhere. I've got a set of transfers from Peter Mallinson so I can be fairly flexible.

many thanks
Mike
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: kcrossle » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:24 pm

This is wonderful stuff - thanks all. I have to run out but may get back with more questions. Just knowing what went vertical / horizontal, front / back was most illuminating.

Keith
kcrossle
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: