Indicators and door locks

PostPost by: handi_andi » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:26 am

Hiya
A couple of things I need to sort out before the MOT are proving to be a bit troublesome and I was wondering if anyone could give me any pointers please.

1. My indicators which had been working suddenly stopped working last night. The flasher switch brings them all on and flashing nicely and brightly, the indicator switch on the other hand has no effect. I haven't had time to go prouding yet with a multimeter as the light was fading last night and my ears were ringing from finally get the engine to run something near normally, a dud spark plug and timing at around 30degrees really wasn't helping the engine. However, I was wondering if there was anywhere in particular in the indicator circuitry that is known for going wrong?

2. My driver's side door lock and opening system has always been a bit suspect and caused me one day to have to get out of the car on the passenger side to walk round to pay the lady at the toll booth because the electric windows also decided to choose that moment to give up the ghost. At the moment the door can be locked, unlocked and opened from inside, however, from the outside it can only be opened by inserting the key, turning it clockwise, opening the door, then turning the key back anti-clockwise to the same point to remove it, and if the door is shut it is locked from the outside but not the inside. I am figuring it is probably something to do with the position of the key lock but have no idea how to adjust it correctly, please can someone give me some pointers?

Thanks

Andy
Live life to the fullest - that's why I own a Lotus
handi_andi
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:51 am

Hi Andy,

No idea about the indicators but, as you have been fixing the flasher/dip switch it's probably a good place to start looking - then again you've probably figured that one out!

As far as the door locks are concerned, if I am understanding you correctly, then it sounds like it's working as it should - you do have to return the key to the middle position to withdraw it and you can always open the door from the inside even if it is locked from the outside. The private latch should lock it from the inside and stop the button on the outside operating, unless you unlock with the key.

If the internal release is not working then the rods connecting it to the door latch need adjusting (usually by bending them a bit).

Is this what you mean?
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: handi_andi » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:22 am

Thanks. Unless i open the door with the key to the right then when the key goes back to middle the door is still locked. i.e. the door is always locked from outside unless you insert the key and turn it to the right, as in you can not leave it unlocked from the outside. So if I accidentally shut door with keys in ignition I have to walk round to passenger door which you can leave unlocked!
Andy
Live life to the fullest - that's why I own a Lotus
handi_andi
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:37 pm

Ah - I see.

Looks like it's either an adjustment issue or maybe one of the bushes on the rod links has come off / worn / is missing.

Either way it should be obvious when you take the door trim off.
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: poiuyt » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:31 pm

I believe the turn ibdicators use a different flasher unit. In my 69 Elan there is a green wire (power?) that periodically falls off the flasher because the DPO shortened all of the wires.

Look at the flasher (under the left side of the dash in my LHD car) for missing wires and look for a loose wire that iwll reach it easily.

Steve Becker
Steve B.<br>1969 Elan S4
poiuyt
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: