Homemade Bonnet Prop Rod

PostPost by: tbsmith » Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:33 pm

Here is something I made that is a lot more convenient that a broomstick. It is made of 1/4" dia HRS, a spring, a short piece of tubing, and a rubber grommet.

I originally wanted to make it so I wouldn't have to drill any holes, but there was no convenient place in the body, so I did have to drill one hole in the inner fender for the rubber grommet (similar to the early Europa). If putting holes in fiberglass doesn't bother you, you could make it much simpler by putting another grommet in the bonnet and doing away with the latch mechanism.

To slot the latch tubing, I used a milling machine, but a dremel tool might also work. I welded the small sleeve to the rod, but you could also drill through for a small pin, etc.

This works with no front spring installed, but I wouldn't trust it in any kind of strong wind.

Tom
Attachments
connected.jpg and
hinge.jpg and
latchend.jpg and
latchparts.jpg and
inuse.jpg and
tbsmith
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:44 pm

Quite neat Tom :)

I can't help thinking it's easier to remove the bonnet completely ....... :?:
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tbsmith » Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:27 pm

Well, usually so, and a lot better access, but when you just want to check the oil and there is only rough pavement at the gas station, I think it will come in handy. Plus I won't have to reattach the front spring each time.

I guess it is all what you are used to.

Tom
tbsmith
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ppnelan » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:47 pm

I too either remove the bonnet for 'surgery', or use my shoulder as a prop if it's just a 'check up' - however, my T-shirt sleeves get dirtier as the underside of the bonnet gets cleaner... :wink:

:arrow: Matthew
ppnelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:29 pm

my home made prop -- :lol: --also good for road rage abatement --ed
Attachments
P1010017.JPG and
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:50 pm

blunt end
Attachments
P1010019.JPG and

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:51 pm

round end [with hole] for wall hanging when it was attached to an Italian banjo---ed
Attachments
P1010018.JPG and

twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: