Boot Latch (Spring Mounting)

PostPost by: tbsmith » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:12 am

(Originally posted to the Plus 2 forum by mistake)

I bought a spring and bobbin that keeps the boot open, but none of the suppliers here in US the had the bracket, so I'm going to make one. Can someone post some measurements of it, especially the width? Is it bent up sheet metal? I suppose it has to be pretty stout. A picture would help too!

Thanks!

Tom
tbsmith
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: type36lotus » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:43 am

Yes it should be stout. The repro I got was not and folded down! I bent it back and made a strut to support it. From the wheel well to the bracket.
Mike Geiger
66 S3 Coupe', no more :-(
type36lotus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: johnstice » Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:12 am

Try Susan Miller's in the UK she listed the boot stay bracket (S3-S4-Sprint) for sale in her last catalog for ?5.50
johnstice
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: tbsmith » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:04 pm

Ah, wish I knew about that sooner. I just finished making a bracket, but now the spring seems to put way too much stress on the fiberglass when trying to close it (it bends the lip of the trunk so much that I haven't the nerve to push down hard enough to actually close it).

I'm wondering if I have the right bobbin. Could someone with a Sprint measure the smaller diameter of the bobbin (where the spring wraps around it)? I might turn the diameter down a bit to reduce the force.

The bracket itself is strong enough, but the fiberglass seems too weak.

As you can see in the pictures, I tied the bracket into the steel channel than runs between the two hinges. I've never seen what the original bracket is supposed to look like on the later cars... is there supposed to be an auxiliary bracket that somehow reinforces this to another part of the body?

Tom
Attachments
bracketbottom.jpg and
bracket2.jpg and
bracket.jpg and
tbsmith
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: