Front number plate

PostPost by: Phil W » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:58 pm

Bought my 74 130/5 in 86 with numbers attached to front grill. They still are!
Phil W
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: thor » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:17 am

This is my alternative, as no other solution is possible here in Norway. Prettier without, but this works well as a spoiler adding welcome cool air to the rad in the summer..
Attachments
Knutslager2-full.jpg and
front number plate
Thor Svaboe
1973 +2S130/5 white/silver

http://thorsvaboe.googlepages.com
thor
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:54 am

What a shame Thor, your car would look so much better without it ... Are you allowed to attach the tag to the bodywork below the air intake? Slanting towards the road? Eric
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: thor » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:28 am

Well yes, that's a possibility, but I almost feel this is better.
If I did that it would ALMOST follow the bodywork, but not quite, looking more like it's been knocked back..and I think that looks a bit strange..
Thor Svaboe
1973 +2S130/5 white/silver

http://thorsvaboe.googlepages.com
thor
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:24 am

Can you Legally stick the plate number with a black rectangle surround using vinyl adhesive directly on the bodywork below the intake? The +2 looks so good without a front tag...
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:46 pm

Couple of years ago I got back to my parked car to find a young cop looking at it; we had a chat about this and that and he asked me where my front number plate was- "Same place as it was ten years before you were born, sonny" says I pointing to the grille; he bent down; unfolded his 6'4" frame and came up laughing- "Never seen one of those before" :lol:

I believe that there was some litigation involving the Jaguar E-type number plate about '73/74 and the stick-on reflective plate was sanctioned, even though it was not on a flat vertical surface; I certainly ran one on a Cooper "S" for a few years without a problem. 8)

Cheers,
Pete.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gordonlund » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:36 pm

See photos of my +2 (Rhubarb) one with no. plate blocking grill, any lower down and it always got bent. In hot weather caused overheating. The other with nos in grill. overheating and damage problem solved. The St st washers cover holes where fixing bracket was.

Both set ups passed the MOT without comment. By the way, the car when I first bought it in 1981 had the letters & numbers on the bonnet. It passed the MOT then!! Readers of my book will see those early pictures when the car was painted pillar box red with an aluminium painted roof. Not metal flake. YUK.

Gordon
Attachments
P6100031web.JPG and
Looks a lot better like this
+2 & Jo.jpg and
No. plate in prone to damage area plus blocking off radiator grill
gordonlund
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: richgilb » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:00 am

Does anyone know where you can get the letters for the grill from? I was advised Christopher Neil but I cannot find them on their website.

Rich
I am now an ex-Elan owner but will drop by from time to time with some suitably inappropriate comments.
richgilb
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:05 am

I got mine from Paul Matty but it was a few years ago, and I still have the part numbers strarting with "BNP00" but cant find them in his parts list.
I will need some my self as I am waiting for the DVLA to issue me with a number for my S2 so I have not followed it up yet, if you find a source please let me know.
Just found this but dont know if they supply the seperate letters http://www.vintage-plates.co.uk/vintage-plates.htm
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:31 am

I bought some from Paul a few years ago too, think they still do them.

If not, this place does them:

http://www.buy-a-plate.com/

Robbie
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bengalcharlie » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:57 am

Not legal in NZ but I refuse to put a plate between the headlights or under the grille. Have already had fine by a a....e cop! beaurocrats!!! :evil:
Attachments
DSC04374 for web.JPG and
famous plate for famous car
bengalcharlie
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:26 pm

I obtained a rear plate with the white letters riveted onto the black background plus a set of letters and retainers for the front grille.

http://pl8s.co.uk/1963-to-1973.php
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:16 pm

Hi Everyone,
you can get cast polished aluminum letters and numbers from <www.belles-anciennes.com> complet with clips. The model is " Option prestige". I have put them on my Plus2s130 and also my Elan Sprint fhc. They are and look superb
Alan
Alan.B
alan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Shiny_kit » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:26 pm

Those alloy letters from belles-anciennes are indeed superb, I bought a set, but sadly for the uk they are too small. The letters have to be 79mm high, and theirs are only just 70mm.

There is a chap on ebay who says he can do laser-cut stainless letters, any font, any size - I'm going to contact him and see what he can do, then just need to work out how best to attach them without having to drill them.
1968 Plus Two
2020 Royal Enfield Continental GT 650
Shiny_kit
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: richgilb » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:53 am

Shiny_kit wrote:Those alloy letters from belles-anciennes are indeed superb, I bought a set, but sadly for the uk they are too small. The letters have to be 79mm high, and theirs are only just 70mm.

There is a chap on ebay who says he can do laser-cut stainless letters, any font, any size - I'm going to contact him and see what he can do, then just need to work out how best to attach them without having to drill them.

Not sure I care that they are 9mm shorter, just change the plate for the MOT. I looked at the page and could not find any images and also found a stratement saying that without all the paperwork stuff the plate will not be made. Do you have any advice on whether I could approach these people for delivery in England and I also worry that if I translate my order into French, it will be wrong! And do you have the contact for the guy on ebay. I reckon a quality glue with fabric ties would do the job ok.

Cheers,
Rich
I am now an ex-Elan owner but will drop by from time to time with some suitably inappropriate comments.
richgilb
Third Gear
Third Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: