never ending! Building up a door

PostPost by: rdssdi » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:10 pm

Originally my +2 had small sheet metal screws seccuring the trim clips to the door. They go through the clip, the door fiberglass, through the rubber weatherstrip and into the horizontal metal strip oon window frame.

As the distance spaned by each screw varies, I would think that rivets will not work. The screwss tighten all "layers" involved and "pinch" it all together.

Bob
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: kenny » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:41 pm

I don't like the sound of riviting these clips to the frame. Surely thats a recipe for star cracks.

Kenny
kenny
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: blackandgold » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:25 am

I have not yet fitted these buttons on my car but have removed and replaced the steel clips before so I understand how the screws work and how everything comes together, as mentioned the buttons are intended to be used with the right sized rivets to eleviate any cracking potential but there is no reason that the same sheet metal or self tapping screws as the steel clips can't be used and if rivets are used obviously you need to clamp from the top to close things up, as with alot of things with this car you need to think a little about how work on it

Following is a picture of the mysterious buttons
Attachments
Alloy buttons.JPG and
Mark

1973 +2 S130 with BDA
blackandgold
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:40 am

Mark,
From the photo and description, they look like expensive washers! Can you see any other real advantage to them?
Mike
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: kenny » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:50 am

From the photo they look like the female half of hood/tonneau poppers.
The way I look at is that when these cars were new they were used as everday transport and left out in all weathers and consequently fell to bits in tens years or so.
My car for example was retired from duty in 1979 after 11 years :!:

I think a fully rebuilt car now generally will be on a limited mileage insurance policy and tucked up in a warm garage for the rest of its life hence I feel rust and corrosion like the first time around won't be as severe.

Kenny
kenny
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:11 am

Kenny,
If they are really just washers under the rivets, you could use stainless washers - very cheap on Ebay.
Mike
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: kenny » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:25 am

Mike, I'll just be using the ordinary spring clips, self tappers and a nice bead of Sikaflex inside the rubber waist...........it won't go anywhere then.

Problem I have at present is trying to get hold of the proper window channel felt so I can do the complete job. Stuff I've got from Neils (supplied by PO) is far to tight and lubricating makes no odds.....it's just too tight.

Cheers,
Kenny
kenny
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:48 am

Kenny,
Can't help with the seal - have you tried asking any other suppliers (Paul Matty, Susan Miller etc) to see if there are any know issues with the seal?

I haven't tried Sikaflex but their website looks good. Which product do you use?

Mike
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: kenny » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:35 am

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SIKAFLEX-221-ADHE ... dZViewItem

I use this but have also used the the general builders Sikaflex in black
You need to be careful with it though as it sticks like sh1t to a blanket.

Kenny
kenny
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: blackandgold » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:38 pm

Photo is low res taken from my mobile so it is hard to see the detail the buttons are concave and quite complex in shape and designed to fix exactly the stainless trim, the advantage apart from zero corrosion is the ease in fitting the trim which can be quite differcult to fit with the standard clips. I guess the cost is not such a issue if you can archieve a great result and not have to do it over again in 5 years
Mark

1973 +2 S130 with BDA
blackandgold
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: