Gate shifter / consul

PostPost by: inxs » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:30 am

As my + 2 has no consul I have priced up some replacement ones from England suppliers but the freight kills the price a bit. (about $500.00 AUD by the time it gets here!!)

I have made a cardboard template and will make one out of ply wood that I will cover in vinyl with an arm rest at the rear and one for the front as well done out the mgb checked vinyl, this is pretty close to the original consul I believe.

What I would like to do at the gear shifter is to have a burr walnut finish with a chrome gate shifter, has any one done this before??

If so a few pics would be great as a guide.

Cheers Darren
inxs
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: nhhiker » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:54 pm

I am looking for a consul too. I am in the states. Where did you find a supplier in England that sell +2 ones? I know the cost of shipping is high, but I think I can piggy back on a bigger shipment.\

Thanks
Bill
'69 +2
nhhiker
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: inxs » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:00 pm

Hi Bill,
I priced one up from Paul Matty Sports Cars. I have purchased parts from them before and only can give high praise for there product and service.

Follow this link http://www.paulmattysportscars.co.uk, under parts you can down load there complete catalouge.

The +2 dash pad is the same as the Europa dash pad, looking on the net there is a few suppliers in the states that might be better (R Dent etc) for the freight.

Another option is to get your original dash pad re vacuum formed with a new skin, this may be my option. If your dash pad has "shrunk" the internal foam, as mine has, this option is not perfect as re skinning of the vinyl does fix this. The cost for this is about the same as a new / replacement crash pad.
Only the freight killed the price for me from Paul Matty, I guess that what you get from living on the other side of the world!!!!

Cheers Darren (Australia)
inxs
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: inxs » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:21 pm

Hi Bill,

Sorry about the last email as that refers to another thread I have on the crash pad. That will teach me to reply to emails first thing in the morning before my coffee!!

I hade emailed Paul Matty previously about a consul to suit the +2 and they are no longer available.
Looking at the design I have decided to make one out of ply wood. I am going out today to get the materials. What I did was to cut a template out of cardboard first for the top and will start with the top piece, around 3/8" to 1/2" thick. The sides will be thin 3/16 ply with the joint where it angles out at the back and front I will reinforce with fibreglass.

Where the consul angle out at the dash I will make another piece made out of about 1" MDF that I will put a "gate shifter" on, the consul will be covered in black vinyl, with 2 seperate arm rests, front and back. The arm rests will be covered with what I call the "MGB checker" vinyl which is the vinyl that is in the inserts of the original seats.
With the additional piece at the gear shifter i will cover this with black vinyl with the top having an insert of burr walnut (as per the dash). Around the gear shifter I am hoping to make a stainless steel "gate shifter" that follows the pattern of the gears, if this doesnt work I will use a MGB gear boot and suround as what I have seen these these are easy to get (MGB are very popular cars in Australia, parts are OK to source) and are small enough to suit the consul.
When I get it started and finished I will post some pics, I suspect it will take some time to complete as next week my holidays finish and I have to go back to work to pay for my morgage,wife, 2 kids and car habit!!!

Cheers Darren
inxs
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: