S2 window frame question

PostPost by: Emma-Knight » Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:23 pm

I recently noticed some cars with the removable windscreen have two side fixing bolts in the door recess - one to a bobbin and one "free" with
a penny washer. Does anyone else have this modification? (The early windsreens have a more "banana" like side fixing with a single bolt.)

...one of some cars is my car :mrgreen:

Anna
Attachments
Waiting for sping.jpg and
window bolts inside near side.jpg and
S2 window side bolts.jpg and
1965 S2
Emma-Knight
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:46 pm

Anna,
On my S2 both bolts go into bobbins and have penny washers, maybe some one has modified yours it to get a little more adjustment on the windscreen frame or maybe the threads in the bobbin were stripped.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: M100 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:51 pm

Oooh I really like that silver over white. Not seen any like that before.
Martin
72 Sprint DHC
M100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:28 am

I just went for a look at a wind screen frame with 2 bobbins per side, then went and looked at an early S2 (26/4020 and it has a single bobbin and no hole for the second bolt. My later S2 is like Anna's pictures show. The early cars were lighter... or the evolution of assembly and the methods used.
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: type36lotus » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:06 am

Yes, Martin, I agree. The Silver over white looks quite good. I never would have thought of it. Fantastic choice!
Mike Geiger
66 S3 Coupe', no more :-(
type36lotus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:13 am

garyeanderson wrote:I just went for a look at a wind screen frame with 2 bobbins per side, then went and looked at an early S2 (26/4020 and it has a single bobbin and no hole for the second bolt. My later S2 is like Anna's pictures show. The early cars were lighter... or the evolution of assembly and the methods used.

My S2 is 26/3944 (only 44 into S2 production) so S2's dont come much earler and it has the two bobbins.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:04 am

Hi Brian
Lotus must have had both types of molds for the windscreen frames. I think my other early S2 Elan 26/4045 has the same single bolt attachment. I will look at it later as it is stored a couple miles from my house. Funny thing I was looking and it seemed odd but it just didn't register that they were different until Anna posted the question and photos. Brian, does you Elan body have 2 bobbins per side also or just the windscreen frame?

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:39 am

garyeanderson wrote:Hi Brian
Lotus must have had both types of molds for the windscreen frames. Brian, does you Elan body have 2 bobbins per side also or just the windscreen frame? Gary

Gary, not to sure I understand you, my car has two fixed bobbins per side to mount the windscreen frame, aren't the frames all the same just some have one bolt and one fixed bobbin at each side in the body? if there are different w/s frames what is the difference?
When I rebuilt my car I had to elongate the mounting holes in the w/screen frame to get a reasonable fit.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Emma-Knight » Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:18 pm

:D ...that's what I like about Elan.net - so many answers, so quick. The windsreen looks like it hasn't been undone, also the bobbin bolt connection inside looks like resting so for many years. The lattice-frame has been fixed with fussy glass strands, not with tissue like slim sheets. Looks like a rough repair but seems factory option. :shock:
Just the colour: it's not exactly silver... more cold, icey blue - close to silver. Could be a candy type paint. (blue base coat and silver flake clear onto) Still very nice though...
If I ever have to repaint, I'd use it again. I will paint the sills satin black this winter. :wink:
1965 S2
Emma-Knight
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:58 pm

Hi Brian

I believe that all Roadster "bodies" (S1 and S2) had a single threaded bobbin per side, some screen frames have one clear bobbin and others have 2 clear bobbins per side. The screen frames with 2 bobbins,
one 1/4 20 x 1 1/2" bolt goes into the threaded elongated bobbin in the body threadded bobbin and the other bolt goes through the clear bobbin with the round hole has the penny washer like Anna's second photo.

Ok, I just came back from looking at 26/4045 and it does indead have the single bolt per side going through a single elongated clear bobbin bonded into the screen frame then into the threadded bobbin in the body. There is no hole drilled in the body for the bolt with the penny washer.

3 out of 5 S2 screen frames that I have are single bobbin, one of these did not come with any of the cars and it was given to me nearly 30 years ago and I don't know the Elan it came from.

Ps the parts book that incluceds the S1, S2, and Coupe lists it with the
2 bolts per side, one is 1/4 20 x1 1/2" and the other is 1 1/4" with a stover.
Last edited by garyeanderson on Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:09 pm

Gary, maybe my memory is playing tricks on me and it is how you say but I cannot get to check it as its 6000 miles away on another continent. I am going there in January so I will check and resurrect this thread later.
While we are talking S2's could you or Anna measure the length of the door/window seal (outside) the one that runs parrell with top of the door and rubs on the window when it is raised or lowered, I am trying to source some seals and need to know the length.
Thanks Brian
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Emma-Knight » Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:48 pm

... I'll have a look tomorrow morning - with a picture
1965 S2
Emma-Knight
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: BillGavin » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:50 pm

Here are a couple of pictures of Gary's S1/S2 windscreen frames.

- Bill
Attachments
S2_Windscreens_Inside.jpg
Inside view of both versions
S2_Windscreens_Inside.jpg (8.78 KiB) Viewed 3141 times
S2_Windscreens_Outside.jpg
Outside view of both versions
S2_Windscreens_Outside.jpg (6.88 KiB) Viewed 3140 times
BillGavin
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:29 pm

Hi Bill

Thanks for posting the photos. I think that there was still a lot of changes taking place at Lotus in 1963 and 1964 trying to ramp up production and this kind of thing was fairly easy to do when you are building 10 or so cars a week. The windscreen frames stack extreemly well and I can imagine a stack of screen frames siting in inventory and the latest deliveries just piled on top. Just another first in, last out that seemed to happen back then.

Hi Brian

My one running S2 is missing it side windows, the rest are some what disassembled at the moment.

Has anyone ever found a body number on a screen frame? The rest of the Elan body kits (body, doors, boot lid, headlamp buckets) all had the body number in grease pencil on them, I haven't seen the body number on the bonnets, front or rear bumpers/fenders either.
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Emma-Knight » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:04 pm

:D ...we'll have to add a page to Brians book!

PS: I had a look at replacement window horizontal felt strip from Mac Gregor car parts: they are 715 mm long. I'll have a look at the car tonight and measure again.

PS: the original felt strip is slightly shorter, about 3 mm on my car. So 715mm should do the job.

Anna
1965 S2
Emma-Knight
Third Gear
Third Gear

Next

Total Online: