REAR WINDOW

PostPost by: RobCapper » Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:19 am

Hi,

I need to replace my rear window rubber/surround as it doesn't really fit and there's a 5mm gap between the perishing rubber and the glass. The wndow itself is fine and the demist works excellently. Is replacing the rubber/surround a bit and expensive job?

please tell me the surround is really cheap and that any chap worth his salt could change it?!

thanks
RobCapper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:35 am

Rob, the rubber is about ?30 plus VAT from Christopher Neil. You will also want a new 'chrome strip'. If you haven't done one before, get your local windsreen fitter to do it, it's a bit of an art and they shouldn't charge much.
Mike
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:10 am

Rob
If you are going to do it yourself,get the special tool for inserting the chrome strip or you'll end up with more blisters than fingers....

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: archigator » Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:47 pm

I've used one half of a wooden clothespin as an installation tool, and it works great. It won't scratch the glass, and will break on its own before it would break or chip any glass. You can use it to leverage the glass into the rubber gasket and to push in the "chrome" trim as well. I usually go through about three or four clothespins in the process.

Gary
'71 Sprint
Miami, FL
archigator
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: tdafforn » Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:51 pm

I second John,
You can buy the tool from FROST, and it works a treat.
eg. took me a hour to do one side without it, whereas with it it took 10 minutes for the whole job
Tim
tdafforn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: thor » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:46 am

Any ideas on where it's possible to get the same looking rubber strip with chrome insert strip rather than the rubbish plastic/silver foil one for the front??? :? My yellowing one complete with crumpled tin foil inside is crying out for a replacement,.....
Thor Svaboe
1973 +2S130/5 white/silver

http://thorsvaboe.googlepages.com
thor
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: tdafforn » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:12 am

Try Woolies.
www.woolies-trim.co.uk/
If anyone has it they will
Tim
tdafforn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pmallinson » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:37 am

I have bought mine form tis company and they are cheaper than wollies and very helpful

http://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/bbCMS/shop ... rtmentId=4

Seals are at the top, filler strip under that then the tool you need, after that a MYRIAD of other very useful seals edge trims etc !!

Cheers
Peter Mallinson
[email protected]
pmallinson
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: niallf » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:06 am

thor wrote:Any ideas on where it's possible to get the same looking rubber strip with chrome insert strip rather than the rubbish plastic/silver foil one for the front??? :? My yellowing one complete with crumpled tin foil inside is crying out for a replacement,.....

I'm pretty sure Crumpled Tin Foil = Bonded in Windscreen.

There are no options as the window surround is different (thinner, I think) for these screens. I don't think it's not impossible to change/build up the surround with fibreglass, but it's not easy.

New foil is available and I've seen this trim installed cleanly. I think heat is needed to get it smoothly round the corners.

Niall
niallf
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: thor » Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:26 am

dammit
Thor Svaboe

thor
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:01 pm

Rob

I have the early car and it is the BL Mini type chrome insert, the later car has the bonded screen. After talking to Matt I am glad I have te early type as he tells me the foil is very hard to get to look right.

You need to check wich screen you have and pray for the early one. :D

Jason
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: thor » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:18 pm

it's a lovely late one I'm afraid, +2S130/5 from '73.
It must have seemed a good idea at the time.....
Thor Svaboe

thor
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Matt » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:45 pm

I shaped my plastic trim and bonded my screen in, they are tricky but you can do them perfectly if you take your time and know what your doing, If your doing yours thor give me a shout and I will give you some tips. :wink:

Matt
1967 Elan S3
1970 Elan S4 Sprint
1972 Europa TC
1973 Elan +2 s130/5
1978 Esprit S1
1981 Esprit S2.2
Matt
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: tower of strength » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:39 am

according to the magazines that have built the Spyder Zetec, they replace the bonded screen trim with a universal rubber, the cars I've seen pics of all have rubbers, some even have blacked "chrome" inserts, very classy in my opinion. maybe worth calling spyder to findout what they use/how they do it?

regards

Mark
tower of strength
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: